Consolidate or Balance Transfer?

Hi all,

I’m looking to possibly consolidate £8k which is across 2 credit cards and 2 catalogues.
After a 7 years, things ended with my partner, we were slowly paying things off but not getting anywhere, and he was paying the minimums. All of the credit was taken out in my name as he has previous bad debt history, and now he’s left, I’m left to deal with it. Biggest mistake I ever made, but now needs sorting.

I’m a single working mum, and have been advised by my friend who works in the bank to get a consolidating loan to reduce monthly outgoings as I cannot afford the minimum payments on my own.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed!
I’ve been worried about applying for a loan due to the amount outstanding (I have two cars on finance, one my own and the other my exes though he is paying me each month for that), so I worry I won’t be accepted as my wages aren’t high and large amount outstanding.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• I doubt further borrowing is an option, or even desirable.

Visit the DFW boards for more rounded advice on cutting costs and paying down your debts faster.
  • No consolidating is not the answer and it is doubtful it will be approved.

Post an soa up here. http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    slellis wrote: »
    I have two cars on finance, one my own and the other my exes though he is paying me each month for that

This also needs to be resolved, one way or another, with your ex. Firstly it will look as though you can't afford your existing commitments - which will make any further credit very unlikely - and if he stops paying you will be in a really difficult position.

You may need to explore (with him, hopefully) what options you have - possibly to return his car and pay off the finance, or possibly for him to re-finance it himself. Otherwise you will just be left praying that he doesn't stop the payments to you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If the finance is in your name, then it's not your exe's car, it's yours, and your debt.
    End the deal if possible without penalty-he can sort his own car out.
    As above, what makes you think that consolidation will reduce your payments? 'One single convenient payment' doesn't mean less. Very poor advice from someone in banking.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Consolidation isn't the solution, you need to look at your spending and cut back. If you consolidate you could end up in an even worse position if you take out more credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure