PPI with Halifax BS

I submitted an enquiry to Halifax about claiming PPI on the joint mortgage my mother and I had for the period form 1988 to 2000. However, they sent me a ridiculously long form asking for details of account numbers, copy mortgage statements, details of the mortgage product we had, etc etc. I just looked at the form and thought it was pointless trying to fill it in because it was over 18 years ago and I haven't got records going back that far. What makes it even more complicated is that the original mortgage was taken out with Leeds Permanent Building Society in 1988, which Halifax BS took over sometime in the 1990s. I would really like to make a claim against the PPI we paid on our mortgage because we were told we had to take it out and also we were charged interest on the monthly premiums so for 12 years we probably paid a lot more interest than we should have done.

Is there anyway we can make a claim without being able to provide the information they reckon they need? Would I be better using a claim handler to sort this out given the age of it? If so, are there any recommendations of any decent claim handlers and what fee would I expect to pay. Also, for submitting a claim, does my mother need to sign papers? She now has dementia and is living in a care home. I have Enduring Power of Attorney for managing her affairs so assume that will be sufficient.

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 January 2019 at 2:44PM
    I haven't got records going back that far
    After 18 years they probably haven't either.

Just complete their form as best you can. If you can't answer some of the questions, write I don't know. Answer truthfully, don't make anything up.

Would I be better using a claim handler to sort this out given the age of it?
    No, they don't know either and you have to provide all the same details to them. They have no magic powers and know less about your financial details than you.

They simply post the form for you, that's one expensive stamp . .

You haven't said what your complaint reason(s) are, it may be that a PPI policy was a condition of the mortgage 30 years ago.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I just looked at the form and thought it was pointless trying to fill it in because it was over 18 years ago and I haven't got records going back that far.

And neither do they. Hence, why they are asking you.
    I would really like to make a claim against the PPI we paid on our mortgage because we were told we had to take it out and also we were charged interest on the monthly premiums so for 12 years we probably paid a lot more interest than we should have done.

Are you sure that was PPi as it doesnt sound like it. MPPI sold by banks and building societies was usually monthly premium paid by its own direct debit. No extra interest charged on it.

Are you perhaps mixing up MIG with PPI. MIG was compulsory and could be added to the mortgage and have interest charged on it.
    Is there anyway we can make a claim without being able to provide the information they reckon they need?

Only if you or they have evidence it existed.
    Would I be better using a claim handler to sort this out given the age of it?

No. There is no way a CMC can locate information if you cannot supply it to them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Given the passage of time and change of ownership they will have little or no information - so rather than just dismissing it out of hand they have asked you to supply as much as you can do that they may consider your complaint.

Ultimately if neither party has any information them your complaint fails as there would be insufficient evidence of a failing in the sales process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure