We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

1373839404143»

Comments

• tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can't believe how mild it has been and because it has been wet I have been able to dig away at my 'still to clear' areas. As it is school holidays I have been aiming to do an hour a day. Hoping that this motivates me to get moving again!
    Go get it!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My new raspberry canes arrived today :D I've gone for glen ample and glen proser so now to wait for it to stop raining for an hour at the weekend so I can get them in :rotfl:

Two favourites for us - just be aware that they will wander if you let them!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Certainly chillier today. Managed to pull up a few weeds and put down some weed suppressant, it is so quiet and relaxing and the local tame robin came to perch close by, still no idea what to grow and have about a third of the allotment still to attack and plan. I will so miss not sliding down the plastic in the rain!
    Go get it!
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good to see activity on here again.
    New Year - new plans, I must get the seeds out and see what I'm missing as the seed catalogs seem to hit the mat on a regular basis at the moment.
    Plot still has quite a number of plants still producing. I still have potatoes in the ground, I was bit unsure but it's what my neighbour advised and it saved me the job of digging them up.

I got two fan trained apricots for Christmas, I'm putting them in the tunnel as they're self pollinating, I can't wait for them to start producing as I love apricots. We're thinking of increasing the number of fruit trees we have but I need to weigh up the pros and cons before buying, however the trees are always cheaper as bare rooted in the winter so I'll have to get a move on and decide.

Happy New Year to all
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    I haven't been down to the plot for about a month, but I really need to start going again. I need to clear a couple of small areas and Im ready for season to start. This year Im looking to plant different winter veggies as I don't really do very well in the cabbage, sprout,PSB and Kale areas! To be honest I don't really like them that much, so Im going to have to find something else I can grow.
    Cant wait to get planting seeds but I haven't even decided what to grow yet. I wont be bothering with chickpeas this year or gherkins, the chickpeas don't seem to do very well on the plot and Ive discovered I don't really enjoy gherkins and I couldn't give them away for love or money!! (and they did really well) so I will get my box of seeds out and a planner for the plot and get dreaming!!
    I will also have to go and see if the parsnips are surviving and see if there are any potatoes left (im another one who left them in the ground).
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I am going to close this thread now and redirect you all to the lovely shiny new thread for 2019 :D

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5944785
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport