The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!

Options

Comments

• EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Hi museumworker - well done to your DD! You must be so proud.

I am impressed with your early planning re Easter. Hubby changed jobs earlier in the year and I am not sure if he will still be in the same job come Easter, nice idea to start planning though. I want a big celebration of our wedding anniversary next Aug, 15 years, so that's reminded me to think about that too (I'm thinking camping in rustic Italy or house swapping, what site do you use for that?).

Just updated my diary, I need to write more about generic stuff maybe, perhaps people are bored of just the money saving things which I am kinda obsessed about at the mo due to hubby low income...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • museumworker
    Options
    Hi museumworker - well done to your DD! You must be so proud.

I am impressed with your early planning re Easter. Hubby changed jobs earlier in the year and I am not sure if he will still be in the same job come Easter, nice idea to start planning though. I want a big celebration of our wedding anniversary next Aug, 15 years, so that's reminded me to think about that too (I'm thinking camping in rustic Italy or house swapping, what site do you use for that?).

Just updated my diary, I need to write more about generic stuff maybe, perhaps people are bored of just the money saving things which I am kinda obsessed about at the mo due to hubby low income...

Thanks EagerLearner, I'm very proud of her for putting so much effort in and making so much progress.

It's kind of easy to be organised with house swapping as we have people contact us so far in advance. Even if we don't want to agree to that exchange, it prompts us to think about what we do want and organise it. We've now booked the flights for Easter too, £300 return for 4 of us including booked seats and a couple of bags, which I thought was good going.

I will DM you regarding house swap site.

I think the forum is a lot quieter than a few years ago, but maybe that's because I don't spend enough time on here! :rotfl:
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 November 2018 at 3:03PM
    Options
    An update from me.
    * We're so far behind with YNAB I need to turn over a new leaf :o We have money sitting in our bank account but I have no idea what it's for, know it's allocated to things though so can't spend it!
    * just delivered a project at work this week, took a lot of energy and some extra hours to get it done but am pleased with the end result.
    * am using the organised mum method still and the house is looking pretty good. I don't think we need a cleaner, which was £156 a month
    * need to take DS out of school for a week beginning of December for medical treatment at home! Hoping it will help resolve a long standing issue
    * have spent £60 this week on revision workbooks for DD1 :eek: and a few hours drawing up a revision timetable together. She was totally despondent and stressed last week so at least she is now motivated and happy. Cheaper than a tutor, I keep telling myself!
    * booked Eur0tunnel to Belgium for our post Christmas break and saved £45 using Mr T vouchers :money:
    * claimed £4.50 back from Sh0pmium for coffee capsules
    * noticed leak in loft and got loft company back to fix it. A slipped tile, easily sorted and done for free under 10 year warranty.
    * boiler serviced, great job and fully disassembled for cleaning, £85.
    * Christmas is feeling under control, half way with kids presents and have some good ideas for the rest. Remind me of this when I start panicking next month!
    * bought thermals for kids so they won't get cold at the Christmas markets in Belgium. The thermal socks will be added to their stockings. Used some money in our Payp@l from the sale of our cot, so £35 off. We are considering a holiday to Lapland next winter so they will get used then as well, plus it could be cold in Denmark at Easter.
    * just bought SAD lamp, with two discounts and a voucher I won last year. Cost £27 for a £130 lamp :money:. I suffer terribly in winter, I did have one a few years ago but lost charger :mad:. After 5 years it's safe to say the charger is not going to turn up now!
    * Pleased with £20 haircut yesterday, including tip.
    * taking DS to Manchester this weekend, used Family railcard
    * picked up some more 25p clothes for kids, washed and put away in 'big bag'. I have been buying more clothes for myself tho :o.

Ta dahh list today:
    * [STRIKE]book discounted ticket for attraction on the weekend[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]find proof eligible for carer ticket[/STRIKE]
    * pack!! (light)
    * [STRIKE]2 x washloads[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]download something to watch with DS on journey[/STRIKE]
    * message friend for address
    [STRIKE]* order PJs for my Xmas box[/STRIKE]
    * call BT
    * [STRIKE]sort our bedroom[/STRIKE]
    * collect DS
    * travel
    * pick up housewarming gift
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Hi museum worker, I've suffered for years with the winter blues I think they call it. I was backwards and forwards to the doctors spanning a number of years and given various reasons why by feb I was depressed. Two years ago I was diagnosed as been vitamin D deficient. I take vitamin D tablets from October to April every year and I have notice a improvement in my moods. please ignore if you have already thought of this or have a medical reason for your lamp. My cousin has a lamp and swears by it.
    CRx
  • museumworker
    Options
    Hi museum worker, I've suffered for years with the winter blues I think they call it. I was backwards and forwards to the doctors spanning a number of years and given various reasons why by feb I was depressed. Two years ago I was diagnosed as been vitamin D deficient. I take vitamin D tablets from October to April every year and I have notice a improvement in my moods. please ignore if you have already thought of this or have a medical reason for your lamp. My cousin has a lamp and swears by it.
    CRx

Hi the cross rabbit, and thanks for the post. I take the recommended dose of Vit D in a multivitamin, but from when my daughter was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency I recall a higher dose is required for those who are deficient.
    I am considering a visit to a nutritionist, so maybe they can check my Vitamin D levels? Something to think about.
  • museumworker
    Options
    Hi all
    Want to get back in the habit of keeping finances closer to the front of my mind, so will try to post more regularly to keep myself on track.
    DS is having home treatment this week, all going ok but not finished yet.

Some small MSE wins:
    * £7 saved on OH Xmas present on flash one day sale. He admired it on the weekend so I popped back to get it.
    * free museum visit, goody bag, and lunch as part of blog, worth £150 :eek:
    * saved on 2 days of travel card this week
    * DS found next size up of trainers for £6.50 in charity shop, and I got half price joules wellies for DD2 big bag for inky £3.75
    * 30% off at work, saved £6 on two presents
    * £15 off eBay voucher showed up, found an item of clothing on my wishlist, new with tags, for only £5 after voucher (£48 full price!)
    * found travelcard in Street, unfortunately unregistered so I can't return it to the owner. Surprised to find £41 on it, plus £5 refund due on the card.
    * started a list of clothes purchases and tallying how much I actually wear them. Think this might stop impulse buying at charity shops.

Some fails:
    * I've not claimed £4.50 worth of cashback on last week's food shop and now it's too late
    * I've not been on top of YNAB
    * we still need to change our broadband as paying £50 a month!

To dos
    * update YNAB
    * pick new broadband supplier
    * book in gutter man
    * finish blog post about free day out
    * Order DD1 new travelcard
    * Apply for school place for DS
  • museumworker
    Options
    Treatment for DS continues, I really hope we finish it this weekend or I don't know what we'll do! OH going to family gathering with DD2 this afternoon, but we need to stay put.

I spent 90 minutes yesterday sorting and putting laundry away so today would like to do 2 x TOMM cleans, especially as have DSis coming over this evening with takeaway!

Spent 15 minutes updating YNAB after my post so coming on here is the right thing to do! Will finish rest this weekend.

Ordered last ones of DS and DD2 presents yesterday. Going for something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read. I've definitely bought less for them as a result and feel more relaxed about Xmas. Need to ask DD1 to get her feet measured then will order her present this week.

To add to list:
    * ask DD1 to measure her feet
    * purchase zoo membership for family present
    * reply to house swappers
    * 2 x 1/2 hr cleans
    * 2 x washloads
  • museumworker
    Options
    Just lost blinking post!
    In summary:
    *YNAB updated a bit, will finish this weekend
    * Bought final gifts for DS and DD2. Following Something they want, need, wear, read principle and it's definitely helping me buy less.
    * DS treatment continues, hope we finish it this weekend!! DSis coming round this evening with takeaway, looking forward to that

Extra to dos:
    * 2 x 1/2 hr TOMM sessions today
    * Finish updating YNAB
    * Buy Zoo membership
    * Ask DD1 to get her feet measured for her present
  • museumworker
    Options
    Got on top of the current account part of YNAB, just need to sort out CC part. We pay in full each month but I would like to have a better idea of my spending on it.
    House looked lovely when DSis came over and she even paid for a takeaway, so kind!
    DD1 got her feet measured so can order her Xmas present now.
    Extended treatment by one day, nurse has said to stop now. We think he has cleared most of the issue, fingers crossed it's enough.
    Just bought my winter tights and extra socks from Pr!mark, have no idea how but managed to spend £36 :eek: I put loads back too!
    Xmas tree bought and put up, it's from IKEA as its only £25 plus we have s £20 voucher to spend next year. Kids got to see Santa again and s free book each.
    £8 personal spend on a vintage leather crossbody bag, I LOVE it!
    Tried on some jeans I'm thinking of getting, now know my size and will be watching eBay for some cheap ones to turn up.
    Apologies for short sentences, so tired today and hoping for early night.
    Hope all well xx
  • museumworker
    Options
    Credit card part of YNAB filled in, now we're all up to date, yay!
    Christmas party tomorrow and planning to wear a party frock I've had for over 20 years! That's pretty frugal, especially as it came from a bargain bin originally!
    Saw DD2s Xmas show today, it was so adorable. She kept smiling and waving the whole time.
    DS had a good day back at school.
    Walked home from tube for exercise and to save £1.50 on bus fare.
    Leftovers for lunch, didn't buy a coffee! Caught up with friend too.
    Ordered replacement 0yster card for DD1 (again!), she is paying for it.
    I got up early and did 5 mins meditation this morning, really proud of myself.
    Hoovered bedrooms before work, it was a very rushed job and I didn't move stuff but reminded myself that progress is better than perfection!
    Two washloads on and dried too.
    Now about to get party ready - wish me luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport