Paying 2 year contract for over years!

ErnestEntrepreneur
ErnestEntrepreneur Posts: 15 Forumite
edited 16 January 2019 at 11:31AM in Mobiles
As a loyal/forgetful idiot, after buying a mobile phone from Tesco Mobile on a two year deal, the purchase of the phone being included in my monthly fee, I have been paying for a little over three years!!!

I was just wondering if I contact them now, what if anything, might I be able to negotiate as recompense?

(Mods: The title should read, "Paying 2 year contract for over 3 years!" - sorry... I messed it up.)

Comments

• As a loyal/forgetful idiot, after buying a mobile phone from Tesco Mobile on a two year deal, the purchase of the phone being included in my monthly fee, I have been paying for a little over three years!!!

I was just wondering if I contact them now, what if anything, might I be able to negotiate as recompense?

(Mods: The title should read, "Paying 2 year contract for over 3 years!")

Simple answer is no. I was in a similar position a fee years ago. My latest contract had the cost of the phone as one amount and the usage as another. That ends in the 1st week of March. I have spoken to them and they said that if I leave it as is then from when the 2 years is up I will only be paying the usage rate as the cost of the phone had finished.

Speak to Tesco and see if they are willing to offer some goodwill towards another phone deal. But look at other suppliers first to see what deals you could get on whatever phone you would like to get.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    As a loyal/forgetful idiot, after buying a mobile phone from Tesco Mobile on a two year deal, the purchase of the phone being included in my monthly fee, I have been paying for a little over three years!!!

(Mods: The title should read, "Paying 2 year contract for over 3 years!" - sorry... I messed it up.)

You are not entitled to any recompense.

The best you can do is find a better deal elsewhere and see if they will beat it either by giving you it for lower monthly fee or more data/call time etc.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You did not have a 2 year contract. You signed up to a minimum 2 year contract, moving to mothly rolling at the same price beyond that.

The fact you could have moved to a cheaper one is no one's fault except your own.

Yes it sucks. but so does not paying attention to your finances.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

As Carrot007 has said, you didn’t sign a 2 year contract, you signed a service contract with a minimum term of 2 years.

As per the terms of the contract it continues running until either party gives notice to terminate. You have no valid complaint to demand any form of compensation for the company abiding by the contract you signed.
    ====
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Why have we suddlenly had a constant stream of people misguidedly coming up with the same issue? Maybe people need to pass a contract understanding test before being allowed to sign up to a mobile phone contract.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Why have we suddlenly had a constant stream of people misguidedly coming up with the same issue? Maybe people need to pass a contract understanding test before being allowed to sign up to a mobile phone contract.

It's been a steady stream throughout my years of membership of these forums. Indeed, when I worked for a network I'd get a couple of calls a day demanding refunds because we'd continued charging past 'the end of the contract'.

Of course, the customers had continued to use our services after such end date!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It’s getting looked at by the authorities to see what the networks can do to better inform their customers.

It’s not totally the fault of the customer and something will change after the regulatory body and the networks have their discussions.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    john22 wrote: »
    It’s getting looked at by the authorities to see what the networks can do to better inform their customers.

It’s not totally the fault of the customer and something will change after the regulatory body and the networks have their discussions.

Is anything ever the fault of the customer? That's why we have a nanny state.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

So whose fault is it that people don't read contracts? If they were read out loud to them they wouldn't listen!

It makes you wonder how some people can get dressed without having a support worker.

No offence meant to those with real issues who need assistance.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

So what’s the other option?

Networks to arbitrarily disconnect people at midnight at the end of month 24?

Shall we do the same with broadband, gas and electricity contracts?

Fixed term with service disconnected as soon as the fixed term ends? Sounds quite ridiculous to me...

The current situation doesn’t seem particularly complicated, it’s an open ended contract with a minimum term, give notice if you don’t want it to continue, any adult (even some children) should be able to manage that.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport