Negotiating with EE advice

kellyp
kellyp Posts: 180
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Can anyone offer advice on negotiating with EE? I’m a loyal customer and been with them 10 years, currently on a sim only deal. I basically need 4GB of data and an currently paying £11 - when I phoned for pac code all they would offer me is 6GB for £10/month. I know that’s not bad but I don’t actually need 6GB and would prefer a lower price with less data. I quoted a few deals that are around but they wouldn’t budge and then just sent me my PAC code! ��. I’ve good coverage with EE and reluctant to change! Should I phone retentions again? Or just switch and rely on WiFi calling if other networks signal not so good.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There is no such thing as a "loyal customer", this is code for those who (and this may not apply to you) can't be bothered to shop around. Presumably your contract has ended?

Since you can get more data for a slightly cheaper price, either take that one OR get some free PAYG sims from the other networks and see what signal you get, then make a decision from there.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    All these use the EE network

BT Mobile.
    Plusnet Mobile. ...
    Asda Mobile. ...
    Virgin Mobile
  • ballyblack wrote: »
    All these use the EE network

BT Mobile.
    Plusnet Mobile. ...
    Asda Mobile. ...
    Virgin Mobile

You'll only get the same level of coverage with BT Mobile though.

The other 3 don't get 4G Calling so have no access to the 800mhz band.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 10:19AM
    sully1311 wrote: »
    You'll only get the same level of coverage with BT Mobile though.

The other 3 don't get 4G Calling so have no access to the 800mhz band.
    BT Mobile ?? The others do get 4G, just not on the 800 MHz network. Interestingly in many places I get a better 4G signal from Plusnet than MrsM gets with EE using identical phones.
  • japitts
    japitts Posts: 119
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 September 2019 at 5:43PM
    kellyp wrote: »
    I’ve good coverage with EE and reluctant to change! Should I phone retentions again? Or just switch and rely on WiFi calling if other networks signal not so good.

Get some PAYG SIMs from other networks and test them out.

Also bear in mind, the "Piggyback" MVNO resellers generally don't have WiFi calling. Certainly none of the EE-based ones do. And as others have pointed out, you'll lose access to 4G-calling and 800Mhz coverage.

Then it'll ultimately be your decision as to whether the couple of ££ saving each month is worth the loss of those extra services.

molerat wrote: »
    BT Mobile ?? The others do get 4G, just not on the 800 MHz network. Interestingly in many places I get a better 4G signal from Plusnet than MrsM gets with EE using identical phones.

PlusNet, VirginMobile, AsdaMobile etc - yes they have EE 4G, but only for data use. Voice calls go over 2G & 3G. The issue being, that there are locations where the only EE coverage is on 800Mhz, and you need 4G-calling to access that signal.
  • kellyp wrote: »
    Can anyone offer advice on negotiating with EE? I’m a loyal customer and been with them 10 years, currently on a sim only deal. I basically need 4GB of data and an currently paying £11 - when I phoned for pac code all they would offer me is 6GB for £10/month. I know that’s not bad but I don’t actually need 6GB and would prefer a lower price with less data. I quoted a few deals that are around but they wouldn’t budge and then just sent me my PAC code! ��. I’ve good coverage with EE and reluctant to change! Should I phone retentions again? Or just switch and rely on WiFi calling if other networks signal not so good.

That's interesting as I rang EE this morning to reduce my pay monthly SIM only contract. I am paying £ 20 a month for 4GB but hardly use the data. The lady was gobsmacked I was paying so much and said she would put me through to another advisor who would help me get that down.

The second EE advisor "generously" told me that I could get 1GB for £ 16 and when I baulked at the offer he just clammed up and waited for me to say goodbye......

My wife is coming to the end of her contract and I don't think she can even get my current offer of £ 20 for 4gb as it looks like they have retired that option.

I am on a rolling 30 day contract by the way
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • japitts
    japitts Posts: 119
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    spiritus wrote: »
    That's interesting as I rang EE this morning to reduce my pay monthly SIM only contract. I am paying £ 20 a month for 4GB but hardly use the data. The lady was gobsmacked I was paying so much and said she would put me through to another advisor who would help me get that down.

The second EE advisor "generously" told me that I could get 1GB for £ 16 and when I baulked at the offer he just clammed up and waited for me to say goodbye......

My wife is coming to the end of her contract and I don't think she can even get my current offer of £ 20 for 4gb as it looks like they have retired that option.

Interesting - looks like you've been offered £5 off the standard price there - https://shop.ee.co.uk/pay-monthly-phones-30days

For what it's worth, business SIM only gets roughly in line with what you're paying, I think 5Gb is £20 on a 30day term.
  • spiritus wrote: »

I rang E E and got unlimited calls and texts and 2GB data which is fine for me and pay £8 per month
  • I rang E E and got unlimited calls and texts and 2GB data which is fine for me and pay £8 per month

Was this on a 12 month contract or a rolling 30 day contract ?
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • spiritus wrote: »
    Was this on a 12 month contract or a rolling 30 day contract ?

I was on a rolling contract before with them paying £16, so had to go on a 12 month contract for this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure