English Heritage- Reciprocal agreement abroad

English Heritage has a reciprocal agreement with New Zealand Heritage.Does it have a reciprocal arrangements with other overseas organisation similar to the one National Trust has currently up and running.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,848
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Apparently they do, but as I'm not a member I cannot see which countries.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    According to their website

“Members can enjoy free or discounted entry at hundreds of attractions across England, and free or half price admission to hundreds more historic places cared for by Cadw, Historic Scotland, OPW, Manx National Heritage and Heritage New Zealand.”
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Apparently they do, but as I'm not a member I cannot see which countries.

I don't think it is very many, unlike the National Trust which has reciprocal deals with around 16 countries.

New Zealand used to be a good option for UK members looking for cheap UK access as it offered both NT and EH. However I gather the price has gone up substantially recently so it is now quite a close call.
  • TrixA
    TrixA Posts: 450
    Forumite
    I don't think it is very many, unlike the National Trust which has reciprocal deals with around 16 countries.

New Zealand used to be a good option for UK members looking for cheap UK access as it offered both NT and EH. However I gather the price has gone up substantially recently so it is now quite a close call.

Heritage NZ say that they've put the price up for non-residents specifically because of the increasing number of people with no connection to NZ who were using it as a cheap way to access NT or EH properties. I expect the NT asked them to do this as a condition of continued reciprocal access.
  • Undervalued
    Forumite
    TrixA wrote: »
    Heritage NZ say that they've put the price up for non-residents specifically because of the increasing number of people with no connection to NZ who were using it as a cheap way to access NT or EH properties. I expect the NT asked them to do this as a condition of continued reciprocal access.

Quite likely!

A good example of the NT's mindset is the Giant's Causeway in N. Ireland. It is public land yet the NT manage to give the impression that the only way to visit is by buying a ticket from them! There was quite a feature about it on the national news a few months back!

The NT also now restrict OAP membership to those who have been a full member for at least five years. Even then they try to "guilt trip" you into paying the full rate.

Life membership (which has shot up in price) used to entitle the life member to take a guest with them. Not any more for new life members.

Oh, did you know, despite members being able to vote at AGMs / EGMs, the NT council can choose to ignore any resolution?

So, whilst I might from time to time enjoy visiting a NT property I would have no hesitation whatsoever in finding the cheapest way of doing so!
  • TrixA
    TrixA Posts: 450
    Forumite
    Quite likely!

A good example of the NT's mindset is the Giant's Causeway in N. Ireland. It is public land yet the NT manage to give the impression that the only way to visit is by buying a ticket from them! There was quite a feature about it on the national news a few months back!

The NT also now restrict OAP membership to those who have been a full member for at least five years. Even then they try to "guilt trip" you into paying the full rate.

Life membership (which has shot up in price) used to entitle the life member to take a guest with them. Not any more for new life members.

Oh, did you know, despite members being able to vote at AGMs / EGMs, the NT council can choose to ignore any resolution?

So, whilst I might from time to time enjoy visiting a NT property I would have no hesitation whatsoever in finding the cheapest way of doing so!

Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of the NT. Their tactic seems to be to charge a fortune to visit a single property, so that the annual membership looks like better value. And if you do buy a membership they make it difficult to pay any other way than direct debit so that it will renew without you noticing. I also wish the NT and English Heritage would have some sort of reciprocal deal as I really can't afford to join both.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    No reason why you can't simply cancel the DD as soon as the first year has been paid
  • Undervalued
    Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    No reason why you can't simply cancel the DD as soon as the first year has been paid

Or if you really want to be nasty, go to your bank and insist you told the NT you did not want to renew!

I used to be treasurer of an organisation that (naturally) got as many members as possible onto direct debit. Each year a few dozen would do the above trick. So the bank clawed the money back from us, without even asking for our side of the story, then charged us handsomely for the privilege!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    My suggestion was not intended to be detrimental to any party!

Organisations profiting by insisting their members can only pay by DD in order to ensure they renew by inertia have got to accept the cost incurred by the ones deciding they didn't want to renew, but forgot to cancel the dd

My suggestion is to cancel immediately after joining! So no impact for the treasurer to sort out at all!
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 996
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I read a few days back that you could join Malta,s National Trust for 30 euro and use at UK National Trust sites, but needed to pay for parking....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure