Ryanair

Options
Last week I was booking some flights with Ryanair I had completed part of the booking when my grandson fell down in the other room so I got up to see to him and when I came back to my phone my other grandson had messed with the phone and clicked the button and booked the flights when the confirmation email came through it was in silly names mr do Dee and mrs doo Dee I got straight on the phone and was told it would cost £115 per ticket to change after numerous calls to them I can’t get them to do anything I even tried to stop the transaction going through while it was pending on my cc but they wouldn’t stop it going through I have been in touch with my cc provider and they have told me they can’t do anything about it so I am stuck with three flights that I can’t use

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    That would appear to be correct.

See whether it's cheaper to change names or buy new tickets.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why would it be Ryanair's, or your card company's, responsibility/fault that you were unable to supervise two young children and a phone and a credit card at the same time but still chose to try?
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Might be cheaper to change names by Deed Poll.:)

Alternatively, tell Ryanair that the contract was completed by a minor and is therefore unenforceable.
  • barbedhook
    Options
    I am not blaming anybody else and am quite capable of looking after my kids I only posted to ask if anybody else had done something similar and got anywhere with Ryanair and can do without sarcasm from people who don’t know a thing about my family circumstances
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 22 November 2019 at 10:12PM
    Options
    Have never had the misfortune to book or travel with Ryanair, but your grandson appears to have managed to do quite a lot.
    For example he must have entered the silly passenger names to the booking then pressed continue, navigated through the next page(s) where they try to get you to book a seat, navigated past the page(s) where they try to sell you bags, navigated past the fast track, airport parking, travel insurance and in-flight catering sales page, navigated past the hotel booking/car hire sales page, then clicked on the check out icon, proceeded to check out at which point am being forced to log in or sign up so won't proceed any further but looks like at this point have to enter contact details, e-mail address, decline or accept to pay carbon offset before (presumably) being allowed to enter your credit card details and actually pay but can't get that far.

I really don't find this at all plausible..
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    barbedhook wrote: »
    I am not blaming anybody else and am quite capable of looking after my kids I only posted to ask if anybody else had done something similar and got anywhere with Ryanair and can do without sarcasm from people who don’t know a thing about my family circumstances

I can tell you of my experiences with Ryanair, if you like. They are not personal experiences, but business ones. The bank I used to work for processed their card transactions for them. Every 6 months or so, there might be changes to the processing rules or the card-acceptance rules. Whilst the bank I worked for had a say in voting for those rule changes, it was just a single voice in a sea of many and, so, had limited power to veto any changes that might be undesirable to the retailers it processed for.

When Ryanair was presented with a list of changes that would have to be implemented (by all retailers, possibly globally) their first retort was often to threaten litigation against the bank! - no warning, straight to legal action.

OK, that was 15+ years ago but it gives you a flavour of what you might be up against.
  • barbedhook
    Options
    Thank you terry towelling for a bit of constructive advice
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I really don't find this at all plausible..
    I guess they were logged in and doing a dummy booking, had entered Mr. do Dee and Mrs. doo Dee and ticked a few options to get to the later stages before leaving the phone accessible. With a credit card on file, the story sounds sort of plausible (I don't have a CC on file so not 100% sure) but the OP could at least have responded to you if something like that were the case.

OP. I would look at the suggestion in post #2 above or write it off as an expensive mistake. Maybe worth appealing on social media but I'm not familiar with their involvement or attitude there.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 November 2019 at 2:52PM
    Options
    According to Wikipedia :

"Michael O`leary, Chief Executive Officer of Ryanair, has a reputation for his arrogance. His abrasive management style, ruthless pursuit of cost-cutting and his explicitly hostile attitude towards corporate competitors, airport authorities, governments, unions and customers, has become a hallmark".

Not the kind of guy willing to agreed to a refund i suspect.

Ryanair customer services are run using the same train of thought O`leary abides by, normally I would say make a nuisence of yourself, keep on complaining, most airlines detest bad publicity, but ryanair seem to thrive on it, and there buisness appears to be no worse off because of it, you can tell your customers to eff off, but when your only charging them peanuts, they still come back for more.

Unfortunatly I think taking this any further would be a complete and utter waste of time, he`s not one of Irelands wealthiest buisnessman by accident.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 November 2019 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Alternatively, tell Ryanair that the contract was completed by a minor and is therefore unenforceable.

[FONT=&quot]The OP must already have logged on on the computer/laptop. So unless the OP was filming it during the ticket purchase, How could the op prove it What evidence the OP has got that the contract was completed by a minor?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unless the matter is principle, so not just about the money. The OP will probably spend more of his valuable time to fight his case than the money he wil get back (if lucky). [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tine is money and this is MSE[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are a lot of more stronger cases than this, such as compensation for flight delay. How many people get compensation back??[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure