Ford Mustang car hire in California

Hi. Looking for some car hire advice for California. Will be starting in LA and finishing in San Fran and would really like to hire a Ford Mustang convertible. I know you can't guarantee this car but hopefully I'll be able to get one.

I've managed to find a couple of reasonable quotes:
    Alamo for 880.76 USD
  • Budget for 987.17 USD

Does anyone have any experience of Alamo and are they any good? Have done quite a bit of research and they're the cheapest.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alamo are a well known outfit, personally I'd choose them over Budget. But do these prices in USD mean that you are looking at US websites? Some elements of insurance are not usually included in quotes for American hirers.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    why look at USD ???
    I use Alamo for 80% of my rentals in CA / NV .....
    However, don't book on a US site (unless your American)..
    Book through the UK sites, use:
    www.skyscanner.com
    then see which booking agent you prefer to use (ones like: Holiday Autos, AutoEurope, Netflights, expedia)...
    They all do the insurance us Brits need...
    Also, renting from LA (LAX is better than using a downtown HLE operator) and drop off to San Fran = easy peasy...
    Your renting in the same state, so no extra fee's, and also, rentals in CA = 1 free additional driver as standard.....

Alamo tend to only do the Mustang and Camero for the convertible, same for National (same company)
    If you want a real Mustang, or a real Camero, then Hertz (book via hertz.co.uk) will have the bigger choice, where as I've only ever seen 2 Real mustangs at the Alamo site for LAX ... (and you would book your normal convert, and then do a backhand $50 in the guys hand to have him upgrade u into the beast!!)

Real = 5.0 (450+ bhp)
    Tourist = 2.0 ecoBoost engine, or possible the V6 3.5ltr, with around 300bhp
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 31 July 2018 at 5:02PM
    I thought the smallest engine mustang In the USA was 2.3L ecoboost with 310 Horses

plenty to have fun with

I have also used Alamo lots of times but book via a UK site

try Alamobrits
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    5.0 V8 all the way, anything less and you are cheating yourself.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    In addition to comments raised, how many are in your party? if one or 2 you should be fine. More than two all with luggage you may struggle in a mustang. They are notoriously small in luggage capacity plus the rear seat passengers don't have much leg room.

I can understand the comment with having the 5 l but the 4cyl ecoboost is still a good drive especially with the added sound turned on ;)

Enjoy your trip.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I booked a convertible through Alamo for northern Florida and they gave me a Camaro. Great car, but luggage space is a problem with the top down.
    Hired through Alamo many times in the US and never had a problem, same with Avis-Budget.
    Have you checked usrentacar prices?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • owenjt
    owenjt Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What's the issue with using a US website? I'm using a special link as part of my International Student Identity Card that gets me discounted rental on Alamo, Enterprise and National. If I use the UK websites it's more expensive.

There are only 2 of us.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    owenjt wrote: »
    What's the issue with using a US website?
    Natives over there don't need the same insurance cover we do, it's usually included in their own car insurance. Hence the price difference.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We used Alamo when we did the same trip in reverse. My Wife was desperate for a Mustang.

We got the the front of the queue and a Camero pulls up....luckily the couple behind us weren't bothered and had it. Thankfully a Mustang was next up.
    Of the 4 convertibles that came through 3 were Mustangs - they know thats what everyone wants, so hopefully you'll be Ok.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    owenjt wrote: »
    What's the issue with using a US website? I'm using a special link as part of my International Student Identity Card that gets me discounted rental on Alamo, Enterprise and National. If I use the UK websites it's more expensive.

There are only 2 of us.

As well as the insurance issue, previously explained there may well be additional taxes on top using the US site. Booking an all inc rate through a UK broker you shouldn't be stung for additional fees.

Being a student, are you under 25? Prices will be on the high side due to that. What are you dates?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure