STW incorrect house band on bill. Complain?

I’ve been living in my new build for 5 years, and have only just really paid attention to my Severn Trent water bill/statement. I pay monthly by direct debit so only get a bill/statement twice a year. My house is semi detached but it’s down on their records as detached. I’ve read that I should notify them that it needs changing and that they won’t backdate any refunds.

As it’s a new build, am I expecting too much for them to of checked to see if my house was semi or detached? Or should the development company of told them it was a semi, or should I have? Has anyone noticed this on theirs and complained?

Thanks

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    STW say;

Since 1990 all new build properties are fitted with a water meter.

https://www.stwater.co.uk/help-and-contact/faqs/can-you-remove-my-water-meter/

Do you have a water meter?
  • Need_info
    Need_info Posts: 10 Forumite
    Yes we are.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Need_info wrote: »
    Yes we are.

Then I don't think it matters. Your water bills will be based on your water consumption.

In the absence of a water meter, water companies charge on the basis of rateable value, not CT band anyway.

You could send SWT a polite email pointing out that your property is semi-detached rather than detached. It might matter to them for some reason.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Phone them and ask. 0800 328 1155
  • Need_info
    Need_info Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 2 August 2018 at 12:22PM
    The only relevance of detached/semi/terraced to STW is if you pay for Surface Water Drainage(SWD) which means rainwater from gutters etc enter the sewerage system and not go to a soakaway.

Property type surface water drainage chargesType of premises
    Charge
    £ per year

Detached house (including link detached): 78.67
    Semi-detached house ; 56.50

Other household premises 34.10
    These charges are levied for the removal and treatment of surface water or rainwater from your property.
    Charges are based either on the rateable value of the property or based on property type, for example terraced, semi-detached or detached. If your charges are currently based on rateable value you can opt to be billed based on property type. If no surface water drains from your property or its surrounding area either directly or indirectly to the public sewer, you can claim exemption from this charge.

This is unlikely in a new build as generally soakaways are mandatory. However as their default position is to charge SWD it might be worth checking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure