Cheap car hire article discussion

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2014 at 6:37PM
    Holiday Autos having promised a refund for breakdown cover which they claim was included in my booking are now not answering my emails.
    To quote:
    I can confirm that, having investigated your case fully, I have now proposed a refund of!€ 6.15!!
    Below, please find my calculation of the refund amount:Breakdown assistance EUR 6.15
    At the same time, I would like to explain in a bit more detail why this situation has occurred.
    As per our system the breakdown assistance is included in the quoted price, however this amount should have been payable at the counter upon arrival. Unfortunately, this information was not loaded correctly and Pay On Arrival amount indicates '0'. Please be informed that this issue has been passed to our quality team and the error will be fixed shortly.

As you can see they state breakdown cover was included then say its payable, I sent an email asking which statement was true but they have not responded and no refund has been forthcoming.

Edit 13/7/14: Having investigated further it looks like breakdown cover is included, but the 'road assistance' is extra, this service seems to be for when you lose keys or run out of fuel rather than a mechanical breakdown. This information was not what i was told at the desk when i picked up the car, on the paperwork voucher i received from Holiday Autos it did not specifically mention breakdown cover so i was not in a position to argue my case at the desk at the time, so was effectively forced to take it.
  • If you are ever tempted to use 'Goldcar' Car hire in Europe - DONT!
    Total rip-off on hidden charges.
    We are pretty savvy with looking for the hidden charges - but got caught out on this one. The extras will end up in the region of 250 Euros on top of our 'agreed' rate, on a 10 day hire.
    KAYAK - the comparison site should remove them from their search.
    Grrrrrrr!

I see one of the Gold Car representatives says they accept 3rd Party coverage. At Milan Malpensa today they did not - even though we have the most extensive cover possible. We were told we either had to pay a 1000 Euro deposit, refundable in 3 weeks time, or pay for Goldcar's own Insurance - around 160 Euros, plus we had to pay for a full tank of petrol - which they managed to get to more than 60 Euros - on a Fiat 500 - for heavens sake.

Given the way this company rips people off - we did not take the option of a 1000 Euro deposit, as I am sure it would be very difficult to actually get the refund!
    To add insult to injury - our Fiat 500 was supped to have aircon - but it is just a standard fan cooling system.

Have a look on trip advisor - the number of complaints about this company on a daily basis is staggering!
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    If you are ever tempted to use 'Goldcar' Car hire in Europe - DONT!
    Total rip-off on hidden charges.
    We are pretty savvy with looking for the hidden charges - but got caught out on this one. The extras will end up in the region of 250 Euros on top of our 'agreed' rate, on a 10 day hire.
    KAYAK - the comparison site should remove them from their search.
    Grrrrrrr!

I see one of the Gold Car representatives says they accept 3rd Party coverage. At Milan Malpensa today they did not - even though we have the most extensive cover possible. We were told we either had to pay a 1000 Euro deposit, refundable in 3 weeks time, or pay for Goldcar's own Insurance - around 160 Euros, plus we had to pay for a full tank of petrol - which they managed to get to more than 60 Euros - on a Fiat 500 - for heavens sake.

Given the way this company rips people off - we did not take the option of a 1000 Euro deposit, as I am sure it would be very difficult to actually get the refund!
    To add insult to injury - our Fiat 500 was supped to have aircon - but it is just a standard fan cooling system.

Have a look on trip advisor - the number of complaints about this company on a daily basis is staggering!

Do you understand how the 3rd Party Insurance works? You have to leave a deposit with the car hire company. If you cause damage, they should provide you with an invoice. You use that invoice to claim from the 3rd Party Insurance.

Don't take/leave cars without having them checked and cleared for damage, even if it means taking them back a bit earlier than necessary.
    With companies such as Goldcar, you'd be a fool to trust them and hope for the best.
  • I have used economy car rentals before and everything has been fine. I booked a car to collect at Bordeaux Aiport for 2 weeks for a price that I was more than happy with - less than 700 euros for a people carrier (VW Touran) Anyway on Saturday morning my wife decides she wants to have a go at driving this time. So, click on amend booking and add driver - this means you have to re-book the whole thing and guess what - its now 950 euros with addictional driver. I'm not complaining that this is a scam or anything but you need to be aware
  • Lins85
    Lins85 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I'm looking for some advice. I'm booking a car hire in Orlando, have found a good price via HolidayAutos which states the following -

Our Policy covers:

All taxes and charges
    No extra charges guarantee
    Insurance Cover
    Zero excess
    Free cancellation and
    24/7 breakdown assistance

However, when I go to book I am offered 'Insurance Excess Cover' for £5.71 per day.

Do I need to take this. Why does it say it includes 'zere excess' and 'no extra charges guaranteed'??

Grateful for any advice!
  • marksyx
    marksyx Posts: 87 Forumite
    Hiya,

Grateful for an advice - travelling from Philadelphia to Florida and am wondering if anyone knows which companies are best to use that do not add a feww for dropping off at another location.

I've done lots of comparisons but most then add a fee, if anyone knows of any off hand that'd be great, as it saves me going through every single one.

Thank-you
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 39 Forumite
    I can't imagine any company won't want a fee for Philadelphia to Florida, even northern FL is going to be 800 miles.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lins85 wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice. I'm booking a car hire in Orlando, have found a good price via HolidayAutos which states the following -

Our Policy covers:

All taxes and charges
    Insurance Cover
    Zero excess
    Free cancellation and

However, when I go to book I am offered 'Insurance Excess Cover' for £5.71 per day.

Do I need to take this. Why does it say it includes 'zere excess' and 'no extra charges guaranteed'??

Grateful for any advice!

We travel in the USA about three times a year, never take the excess.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • NiftyDigits
    pollypenny wrote: »
    We travel in the USA about three times a year, never take the excess.

Are you telling them that they shouldn't purchase excess cover or that you don't take the excess cover?
  • NiftyDigits
    Lins85 wrote: »

Our Policy covers:

All taxes and charges
    Insurance Cover
    Zero excess
    Free cancellation and

Grateful for any advice!

Email them for clarification. hello@holidayautos.com
    Then you have it in writing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family