MSE News: Bulb signals another price possible increase in November...

MSE_Andrew
MSE_Andrew Posts: 173 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
Green energy supplier Bulb has warned its 450,000 customers that it may be forced to increase prices for the third time this year, as a result of rising wholesale costs...
Read the full story:
'Bulb signals another possible price increase in November - are more energy price hikes on the way?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• I was considering moving to Bulb from Octopus but might have to reconsider my options now.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not even a story about Bulb thinking about a third price rise in a year is free from Bulb spammers.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 August 2018 at 11:44AM
    apt wrote: »
    Not even a story about Bulb thinking about a third price rise in a year is free from Bulb spammers.

Poor devils presumably need all the referral fees they can garner to help pay the outrageous prices Bulb charge.

I see now, they can only compare the prices of this minnow against the Big 6 (probably their expensive standard variable tariffs) to make any any claim of a saving.

One wonders why these people don't cunsult a comparison site & switch and save?
    (some comparison sites pay £34 or more for a dual fuel switch and some of the Big 6 are paying £100+ to join them using cashback sites)
    Presumably their constant spamming is paying off for them by sucking in mugs who believe and act on the spam :(
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't know what spam is being referred to in post #2. Perhaps it has been deleted.

I do know, however, that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with Bulb's marketing model, because cash-in-hand for both referrer and referred is in my experience preferable to promised cashbacks which are (a) rebates on money the customer has already paid out and to which (b) no certainty of rebate actually attaches. You might get it. You might not.

Our family's experience of an energy supplier's cashback relates to EDF and its chosen representative, Top Cashback. We switched to EDF in August last year and it took until May this year to obtain our rebate. That only occurred after various requests to Top Cashback for settlement met with "waiting for merchant" and OH's threat that he would now seek settlement directly from EDF together with compensation for time spent and inconvenience incurred.

Our household no longer has a Top Cashback account, but we are still with EDF on a fixed price tariff due to conclude at the end of October. A friend who has Bulb as his supplier has provided us with details of the referral scheme and we may, or may not, pursue that option in due course.

For now though, we are simply keeping an eye on the market. Using our own accurate consumption figures, we see that Bulb remains reasonably competitive amongst suppliers of established provenance and known customer service provision, though it equally well may not be come October.

Of one thing we are certain though is that we are not mugs-to-be-sucked-in, merely because we may ultimately decide on a particular supplier whose marketing model offers a great deal more assurance than that of any cashback scheme.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For me (dual fuel), Bulb are £508 per year variable (using actual usage numbers), whereas the cheapest on a comparison site are £420.

Can someone please tell all the spammers they really aren't cheaper. Unless you go and spam all the forums with your referal link.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I've switched to them because for me they are cheaper. Like any provider though people should do their own checking and make sure you are getting the best deal for you.

It really does only take a few minutes to do a comparison, many people should do one more often.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    How much do Bulb charge for their Standing charge for gas and Electric?
  • glider3560
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    How much do Bulb charge for their Standing charge for gas and Electric?
    Why don't you look on their website?
    https://bulb.co.uk/tariff/
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Why don't you look on their website?
    https://bulb.co.uk/tariff/

[FONT=&quot] I did look but could not see it mentioned, only the tariff.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also emailed Bulb a few days ago to ask, but they never replied.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I thought an existing Bulb customer would be able to quick straight answer.[/FONT]
  • glider3560
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot] I did look but could not see it mentioned, only the tariff.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also emailed Bulb a few days ago to ask, but they never replied.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I thought an existing Bulb customer would be able to quick straight answer.[/FONT]
    It is the tariff! The price depends on where you live, so no-one here can give you answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure