Feedback on Utility Point

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    To be honest, though, they do tell you that payment will be in advance.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    Well it means I get 2 payments in 1 month to pay (old provider and new provider) also who wants a DD in the middle of the month nowadays?

Look on the bright side.

When you switch away from Utility Point (advance payment) to a new supplier that operates retrospective payment (so probaby more expensive as they need to fund the lending somehow), you won't have any payment to make for one month :) :money:
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have been struggling to contact Utility Point recently. An email I sent to them over a week ago has still not been replied to - I have a confirmation email saying they will reply in 5-7 days, so there was no typo in the email address.

Now they are blatantly impossible to reach on the telephone. I tried 3 times in a row just now, each time I was asked to leave a voicemail rather than wait in a queue. Sorry, but I would much rather wait in a queue and get the problem (caused by myself) sorted in the same day.

So if they don't reply to emails or pick up the phone, how do they propose we contact them? Post them a letter in this day and age? If I do post them a letter, it will be a complaint.

I am far from impressed. At least with Iresa you were sure to speak to somebody, even if it did mean waiting in a queue for the best part of the day sometimes.
  • drphila
    drphila Posts: 288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stompa wrote: »
    FWIW I sent them an email 6 days ago and never received a confirmation email, let alone a reply.

I've been deliberating for a while whether to switch to Outfox The Market or UP. I think this post and the one to which it refers have made up my mind for me. (Taking into account the phone contact problems)

I will decide definitely tomorrow, but if anyone has any comments on this course of action, I would welcome them.
  • PennineAcute
    All I can say in defence, is that I have had no issues. I have always used the online chat. Sometimes this is off-line, but India has always responded in a very short period of time.

My last communication with them was by using the off-line chat a week last Friday, 20 July. I had a response on Monday 23 July.

I feel that cheap means some form of cost cutting. Talking in person seems to be one of them.
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Been with them and since 1st of May. I use to always put reading in on the 1st with Npower. But now last day of each month.
    Cheapest for me on the market.
  • I was looking at switching to Utility Point few days ago but looked back today to see they have removed the variable tariff and increase the price for the fixed tariff.
  • PennineAcute
    Seems their initial cheapness has now disappeared. 15p a day SC! Glad I got in at the start of the year for 18 months.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    swiftez wrote: »
    I was looking at switching to Utility Point few days ago but looked back today to see they have removed the variable tariff and increase the price for the fixed tariff.

Not sure why you were ever interested in a varaible tariff during a time when prices are generally rising.

I have watched this supplier for seveal months and see they are changing their tariffs very often, far more often than most suppliers do; in fact so often the comparison sites are often struggling to keep up.

However, general rule is to consult a comparison site and find the best deal for you. If yopu see a good deal, snap it up there and then, as it may not be available next time you look.

If, or some unknown reason, you are determined to switch to this particualr supplier, my advice would be to keep watching their tariffs and jump in if/when they offer a cheap deal for you.
    But in a time of generally rising prices, don;t expect the same prices today that were around a fesw onths back.
    I see BG are already on their second round of price increases this year, and once one starts...
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Seems their initial cheapness has now disappeared. 15p a day SC! Glad I got in at the start of the year for 18 months.

I'm on Just Up wk4 18 month fix, like you I joined UP early.

The standing charge has gone up around 5p now vs. my price and unit cost is around 2p higher.

No idea if UP are still competitive in the broader market at the moment, but the 18 month fix with all these rises is very welcome.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback