PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Since Friday:
    In: portion courgette, rice & feta filo pie, tattie scones

Out: bbq ribs, rump steak, peppercorn sauce
    Used up: green beans, an over ripe tomato
  • I haven't posted in this thread at all yet, but I have been applying this philosophy to the way I eat, and have so far only spent £12 in total on food in August (which is entirely on lunchtime sandwiches) and I reckon I'm still good for another few weeks at least :)

Amazing how many meals we can get out of food we already have in the freezer and cupboards once we take stock!
  • caronc
    Hi t1redmonkey- it's scary how much builds up in stores. I suspect I could last several months.:eek:

In: nothing
    Out: cupasoup, Greek pitta
    Used up: slightly wrinkly red pepper
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We all seem to be winning this battle, folks. I don't know about others, but I get a huge sense of achievement when I see how little I am spending now and how much room I now have in my she-shed: I could fit another freezer in (joking!).

Grandkids gone back home armed up with enough tablet to keep them hyper for months. So, that got rid of two tins of condensed milk and a load of sugar from the store. I have told them to dish it out amongst friends. The freezer and store have taken good knocks whilst they were here:) So have the loo rolls.

I got loads of sorrel from Joe's allotment before he went on holiday and onions, so have made some lentil and sorrel soup for the freezer and chopped and frozen the rest of the sorrel.

OUT: loads!
    IN: Two top quality stuffed turkey breasts. Too good to miss flash sale, so that's Christmas sorted!:D
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I read that as being BB 2007. I did wonder what 11 year old pastry from the fridge would taste like... It's early and it took me a few minutes for my brain to catch up with the rest of me, which is slow at the best of times:o I often do that: I buy blocks of the all butter pastry when it is on special, shove it in the fridge and forget all about it until it is too late. Well done on rescuing yours in time.
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    morning all

Dh has been plodding through his soups so starting to see some space in the freezer.

IN - my normal weekly shop, 3/4 jar of pizza topping from making pizza on saturday

UU - left over roast beef from sunday's dinner for lunch and the cheese left over from making pizzas on saturday was used for the top of the lasagne

Out - 3 x soups from freezer, 2 x bolognaise from freezer as made a lasagne
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    After attempting this earlier this year around Christmas.... I am now 100% focused on actually emptying my cupboards of almost everything. I essentially want to start again. I may even re-organise my kitchen when I do. It does mean I am eating some food I probably wouldn't usually when taking my slimming world seriously but it's all about a balanced diet and counting those syns :)
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry, not been around as much as things have kept getting in the way. Also, with no clear aim for this challenge this month, it has affected my motivation somewhat? However, notable was coming home yesterday with a lot of free plums picked from a nearby tree and the current freezer drawer space is 2 from 4 only being used. Need to collect more garden edibles and free blackberries soon.
  • caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: pork fillet, pitta, french beans, tea bags

Used up: yoghurt dip, peppercorn sauce
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2018 at 2:37PM
    Went out this a.m. for free blackberries and came back with a fairly heavy carrier bag of them. Still a lot more available to pick. Left the (mentioned) gardening task for another day.

Started to sort out all my "old" herbs and spices. Sorted some fenugreek seeds and am trying to sprout them. Also, have to decide what to order for my online (food) delivery tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback