euro car hire - car scratched by others and not my fault

2»

Comments

• Would there be insurance to cover this kind of scratch and chip. I didn't take extra insurance on top of the current one...
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would there be insurance to cover this kind of scratch and chip. I didn't take extra insurance on top of the current one...

You may be fully covered. It depends on the level of excess. Any insurance will cover this sort of damage. The excess level is the important bit.

If is a good idea when hiring cars to purchase extra insurance to reduce the excess to zero. You can do this with the hirer (very expensive), the agent (expensive) or a 3rd party (best value).

Ultimately car hire is a bit if a scam. Headline rates are kept low as they will be able to extract money from a certain percentage of customers.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    would anyone has similar experience?
    It's not uncommon. But circumstances vary widely and as you have not mentioned the hire firm, the location, or what kind of insurance cover and excess is applicable there is not really a chance of guessing the outcome in a meaningful way.

Cubegame has summarised the situation well, above. In any case, there is no reason or advantage to report it in advance or on return of the car, they will find the damage if they want to.

You should get an invoice before leaving for presentation to your separate excess cover (if you have it) if they note the damage and charge you, or it can be obtained later.

The damage could be completely ignored, or the whole excess charged, or something in between - we cannot guess your circumstances.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Centimetres and millimetres.
    That was going through my head as well - it's unfortunate that many people use cms (centimetres) which is not an SI unit of metric measurement, only metres and millimetres.

Perhaps the 50cms quoted is really 50mm ? That's 2 imches in "old" sizes !!!

If the damage is 500mm (0.5M) then it is a repair job.

Hopefully covered by insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport