Ryanair cancellation: Which travel insurance policies would cover it?

2»

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    This is copied from an insurance policy document. Is this what I'm looking for, the bit that says 'which is beyond your control'. Or would this still not cover the refund of hotel/car hire if Ryanair cancelled because it says 'as a result of strike or industrial action'?
    It needs to say "any reason beyond your control" (and if it then adds exclusions, you need to check they don't apply). Or if it only covers certain reasons (as is the case with the policy you quote), it needs to include reasons that match your circumstances. Your policy does not seem to cover the Ryanair situation.

Two of the bullet points relate to cancellation of a flight, but only where the flight cancellation is the result of "strike or industrial action (of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip), adverse weather conditions, or mechanical breakdown or accident of or involving the vehicle in which you will be travelling" or "arising from the insolvency of any pre-booked provider." Ryanair have cancelled because they messed up their staff rostering, which is none of those things.
    koru
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The LV Premier policy has a specific separate section covering lost accommodation (and other trip expenses) as a result of delay or cancellation of flights.
    koru
  • bhaisab
    bhaisab Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Apologies for bumping an old post

But Ryanair have been canceling more flights recently.

Does the forum recommend a company/policy that covers the cost of additional expenses
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Abta spokesperson said on Sky news passengers are entitled to compensation because it's Ryanair's own strike.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Even if an insurer did cover strike action I'm sure they would exclude strikes that are ongoing or already announced. Taking out expensive insurance would be very unlikely to cover future Ryanair strikes.
  • pickup01
    pickup01 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi - I'm due to fly with Ryanair on 19th Aug. I checked with my insurer (Staysure) and they told me that my policy with them would cover my hotel costs (not booked thru Ryanair) if Ryanair cancels my flight and I cannot travel due to this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure