Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 December 2017 at 2:09PM
    Options
    Other than approaching Halifax and them agreeing to help out with some form of reduced fee arrangement, the only options are those three. Some posters have had more success than others in approaching Halifax, so all you can do is see what they're prepared to offer you. Of course this doesn't stop you from approaching a debt charity who may offer support while you pursue one or more of the options.

Some posters may be more to the point than others, but what a quick list does is give you a snapshot of all of the options. Everyone's circumstances are different and while one poster could benefit from more in depth guidance on one of the avenues, another may suit you better. Everyone's time is better spent if the bulk of the replies are geared towards the most suitable option for you.

As another poster said, this is the last month of 'double charging' - the daily fees for current overdraft use plus October's charges taken in arrears. November's charges have already been paid so you only have the daily fees to deal with from now on.
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to drag up this old post, I know it may not be as much in the public eye anymore, but I have just had this response from the FOS:

I write in regards to your above complaint. Apologies for the delay in contacting you. As you are aware your complaint is being reviewed by an ombudsman, who is reviewing the evidence provided to issue their final decision on the matter.

This service has received a number of complaints about the way Halifax will now charge for its overdraft usage. Because of the number of consumers affected, we are trying to ensure that we carefully review this decision made by Halifax.

There may be light at the end of the tunnel after all.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the update, as a Halifax overdraft holder, I would certainly be interested in the outcome.

I'm just on the point of paying a bit more than before, so would prefer the old system financially. But it's the tedium of keeping track of lots of small daily transactions that is more of an inconvenience. I wouldn't even mind paying the extra so much, if the way of managing it was better thought out - which is compounded by the on-line banking sometimes missing showing the odd one - resulting in my spreadsheet not balancing. I have to download a pdf statement to see them reliably. So I'd be very happy to see some improvements.
  • wizzywig27
    Options
    Once again, sorry for dragging up this old post, but it may help people who were in a similar position.

I spoke to the FOS today, so after 5 more months, (9 since I complained to the FOS) today I am told it has finally been passed to an ombudsman.

When I asked what the outcome was of the review, he told me that all cases will be reviewed on their own merit, so they will not be issuing a blanket response.

Its a bit of a joke really, but I've moved on. It was a blessing in disguise what they did. I just wanted them to acknowledge the way they treated me was unfair.
  • wizzywig27
    Options
    Just to provide an update for anyone who has gone to the FOS regarding the overdraft charges, I received a letter Friday, although I e not had an opportunity to read it properly due to family visiting, the cut and dry is although they side with Halifax, they have suggested that Halifax pay me an additional £150 (on top of the £50 already paid) due to stress and anxiety caused (or words to that affect)

That is now closure for me, and feel like a moral victory and a big two fingers up to them (although I know in the grand scheme of things its nothing but pocket change to them).
  • myars
    myars Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    myars wrote: »
    i havent had a loan for years mr lazy living off a largish overdraft @18.9% , i got so mad about these increases that i now have a loan to cover at 4.4% if all goes well i will clear the loan and have no overdraft this is going to cause huge problems for some though its a personal thing but this route is my best .
    can now say ive paid of my overdraft and all is well saved me over 2 grand in charges too. and im not overdrawing either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure