Finding a debt purchase company

Options
New_Star
New_Star Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi. I have someone who owes me £9,500. There is a CCJ against her dated 1st Feb 2018. And although she promises and promises she never comes up with the money. She is currently not working, doesn't own her own car or home and claims to have no saving etc. I am so sick of trying to get something from her that I am thinking of selling this debt on. Does anyone know of a good Debt Purchase Company who might be interested in buying this kind of individual, one-off debt from me?
Thanks.

Comments

• Blackadr
    Options
    I have the exact same problem though am only(!) owed £2000. I have been chasing payment for 18 months now but would love to sell the debt and not have the hassle/anxiety even if only for 10p in the pound. All the companies I have spoken to only deal with larger portfolios and are not interested in individual debts. The CCJ is next to useless because my guy is an old hand at dodging his debts (is a benefit pro, leases his car, owns nothing of value, never lets bailiffs in, uses family members to hold his money, changes bank account regularly) Yet I know he can afford to repay me (e.g. he just got back from a trip to the US!). It seems to me society is very much on the side of the debtor and the only tools available to creditors are next to useless. It's effectively sanctioned theft.

Please post if you do find a buyer - I'll do the same.
  • paulbrighton2018
    Options
    If that person had run up that large a debt, must have had some intention to pay back, or just rip you off..

Have you considered taking to high court, for bailiff recovery? May get repayment plan, more than selling on (if any firm would touch it..)
    formerly known as skintpaul. I sometimes lurk / post local (Brighton) stuff, on the Competitions forum page.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    bailiffs are good for payment plans to use removal of goods as leverage. but, if no assets like OP suggests, probably fruitless and expensive to do so...

2 options:
    1) you could apply to the court to make an attachment of earnings order - you can advise them you'll be doing this, may make them pay
    check https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/718846/ex323-eng.pdf

2) you could file to make them bankrupt - yes it will cost you money, but the threat of this may get the to cough up payments. more info here:
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-bankrupt-someone

good luck
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I very much doubt Lowell or their ilk, will buy a single account from anyone.

Bad debt is bought in bulk you see, many thousands of portfolios at a time, one account would not be worth there while.

You would be better served applying to the high court (assuming the debt is not regulated by the CCA) and getting HCEOs to attend there address, costs are from around £66.

They have the best chance of getting your money back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    New_Star wrote: »
    Hi. I have someone who owes me £9,500. There is a CCJ against her dated 1st Feb 2018. And although she promises and promises she never comes up with the money. She is currently not working, doesn't own her own car or home and claims to have no saving etc. I am so sick of trying to get something from her that I am thinking of selling this debt on. Does anyone know of a good Debt Purchase Company who might be interested in buying this kind of individual, one-off debt from me?
    Thanks.

Soyou lent her £9,500, why would you lend a friend that amount of money. Its madness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure