Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Janineheyes
    • By Janineheyes 9th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Janineheyes
    Debt collection agency placed unauthorised default
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    Debt collection agency placed unauthorised default 9th Aug 18 at 7:09 PM
    I have recently found out that a company named AIC put a default on my credit file in 2015 when they were working on behalf of Barclays Partner Finance (who my loan was with). I have spoken with Barclays and they advised over the phone that AIC were not authorised to do this as they never held my debt.
    The default is now removed but it has severely negatively impacted by score for 3 years and AIC have been awful to deal with (unable to get a straight answer from them/ aggressive etc). Is there anything I can do to get anything financial from AIC in light of their unauthorised actions? I've spent hours and hours dealing with them and the default has prevented me from getting credit I have needed to renovate my house
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 17,962 Posts
    • 19,150 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    You can probably get a goodwill gesture. To get more, you'll need to prove if was the reason for decline.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    It won!!!8217;t have impacted your !!!8220;score!!!8221; as it!!!8217;s ficticious.

And one default won!!!8217;t prevent you getting credit.

I doubt you!!!8217;ll get anything - maybe 50 which is more than generous as a goodwill gesture
  • National Debtline
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    Hi Janine and welcome to the forum

Your best option is to make a complaint to AIC and if you are not happy with their response escalate matters to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). We can't say if this will result in monetary compensation but it will cost you nothing to try.

Assuming AIC are Allied International Credit you may find it easier to raise your complaint via www.resolver.co.uk.

Good luck

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 10th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    Have Barclays ever sold on the debt?

If they have then it's possible that AIC bought it from whoever Barclays sold it to. It's not uncommon for debts to be sold on several times as they get older.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

902Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin