PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Wednesday 8th August 2018

Comments

• Morning chums,

Dry in Glasgow but it's been raining and clouds cover the sky.

Yesterday went exactly as expected as I stayed late in work - and I've still got lots to do. Broke my fast last night with some light nibbles. I think it was boredom that made me hungry more than anything else tbh.

Tonight is date night with my gran. First I'll take her to the chiropodist and then we'll come back for some food. Really looking forward to it. I typically leave hers around 9pm, so I'll aim to do some job searching during that time before bed.

Gers - I feel your pain. The positive from all this is that they redone some of the roads to fill in pot-holes
    TA - Jeez, you and the family have been put through the wringer of late. The spin with the DGD's must have been pleasant for all though and I hope Mr TA has a speedy recovery, i really do.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,570
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TA, I'm glad Mr TA had a better day yesterday, I hope it continues. It's awful how some ward staff are much worse than others. Dad was on a ward where the patients were neglected to the extent that he ended up back in intensive care even though we'd been telling them that he had a problem.

We're still trying to get our heads round what is going on. If it is CLL then Steve has the same as my friends DH who lives just up the road. I have managed to persuade him to give up work again. We don't need the money and also don't need the stress of trying to organise our lives so that he can work 3 days a week. It was sold to me that he would be working from home most of the time but that isn't what has happened. He went back to work for a friend he's worked with before but he's hardly seen him.

We're off to Yorkshire today, having suffered through the intense heat here, now we're off to much cooler weather just when it seems to be becoming pleasant here. Then on to Edinburgh on Friday with Sis-i-law.
    We're going to the Tattoo on Tuesday because she's never seen it. We went with Laura's orchestra when she was 15ish, they wre playing in the festival and we were helpers. We stayed in uni accommodation and so did one of the pipe bands, they were Canadian police and DD came away with a Canadian police shirt which I think is still in the wardrobe upstairs.

We've booked a few of the fringe shows but I think we'll have a quieter time than Steve originally planned because he's sleeping more atm.

Laura's off to Mexico tomorrow on a press trip looking at Tequila and Mescal, she'll be away a week and isn't looking forward to the journeys.

Ziggypup got the all clear from the vet yesterday thank goodness. Since she had a painful ear infection a few months ago she is terrified of the vet's table. She climbs up your front like a cat and Laura said that she even did it last night without any support from DD. I don't know what we can do about it, any ideas LW. She's treated on the floor now but that might not work all the time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good morning chums and a bit of blessed relief with a very slight drop of rain last night ,good bit of thunder and lightning though, but at least the temperatures have dropped by around 10 degrees so its a lot more comfortable at least and certainly less humid.

Hope all the poorlies get some cool breezes to chill them out a bit. I can't think of anything worse than being bed bound AND hot.

MrsTA hope things improve for your OH and he can get some sleep and peace.

Gers great you have your Mum home so feet up and a bit of R&R for you both I think

I am pottering with the boys today ,as its cooler I may get DGS Mikey to finish off the painting of front fence.

Hope everyone has a good day what ever they are doing

Cheers chums

JackieOxx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs for all those in need.

Yesterday we came up the Caen Hill Flight we buddied up with a hire boat, we were the first boats through and did it in 2 hours 10 minutes, the temperature was in the 70's so a bit cooler.
    We stopped at the top for ice cream from the caf!, then we went to the shop and stocked up on food.

We then buddied up with another boat to do the last 6 locks, it was into the 80's by then so I was glad to finish locking for the day. We now have a few lock free miles and 2 pubs along the route.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DM's had a visit from a nurse from the rehabilitation unit to assess her needs. As she's already got a walk-in shower, toilet guard, kitchen trolley and walking stick there's nothing else for her.

Physiotherapy will be arranged (long wait) and some stair climbing practice sessions (shorter wait) too. She's been told to eat more protein and full fat everything - she already has blue top milk and ff yogurt etc.

DM is now sitting on her sofa watching TV with a tin of soup in each hand lifting them up and down! :rotfl: She's determined to get fitter and stronger!

I'm being very MSE and not doing anything - not expending money nor energy. I've written a few work emails and that's it. Reading will be taking place.

snoozer - your planned trips sounds good, you're braver than me going into the Edinburgh crowds!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    snoozer wrote: »
    Ziggypup got the all clear from the vet yesterday thank goodness. Since she had a painful ear infection a few months ago she is terrified of the vet's table. She climbs up your front like a cat and Laura said that she even did it last night without any support from DD. I don't know what we can do about it, any ideas LW. She's treated on the floor now but that might not work all the time.
    First of all, I'm very glad she's got the all-clear. Penny-Dog was often treated on the floor, as getting her onto the table was hard work and stressful for both her and me.

Does it make any difference if Ziggypup sees a different vet in the practise? Penny-Dog was always much calmer if we saw a female vet, so once I realised this, I always booked her in with either Susie or Sally, not any of the male vets. Other than that.... *scratches head*....

Ah, yes - one of the dogs who's just stayed, Indi, has chamomile "pillules" they were called, for when he gets over excited/hyper, and they seem to calm him very quickly. I think they were by a company called Helios, and they are tiny little spherical balls, you just pop one into the dog's mouth, and bingo.

They're actually made for humans, but they certainly work for Indi. I wonder if something like that would help? They're homeopathic, so it's just a wee dose, nothing dramatic.

Ah, I've found a link to the product:
    https://www.helios.co.uk/shop/chamomilla-30c-4g-dispenser
    This is definitely what Indi has, I recognise the packaging.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,385
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Afternoon all.
    It was all go yesterday as the window man arrived swiftly followed by the engineer. The latter was due pm but rang to ask if he could come am ! We didn't know who we were was talking to as we were bouncing between them :rotfl:. We shall wait for the quote for the guttering etc but it sounded a good price, but the poor engineer was left scratching his head for 5hrs :eek:. He finally found a fault underground and has put in a request for new cabling, as he said the fault affected the whole street. We noticed this morning there is another engineer up the pole further down the street, so he may be right and we are all affected in some way.
    This morning we have been out to get Hopalong........ aka Mr Fix It, some knee pads, as there is no way I will let him hurt his knees climbing about on the shed roof again :(. ( they will also come in handy for him pegging down the awning when we are away, when we are on a gravel hardstanding ) Stopped off in the garden centre for coffee and a slice of carrot cake, we did share the cake, then called in the surgery to get an appointment for Mr Fix It's oncology injection.
    This afternoon DGD will be here for a Princess Sofia sleepover, so probably there will be lots of crafting, baking and colouring done :D.
    Mr Fix It ( plus one.... me ! ) has been invited to the National Eisteddfod in Cardiff, by the University of Wales in their guest box, but as nearly everything is in welsh we have declined, we wouldn't have a clue as to what "was occurring ! " oooooh get us hobnobbing :rotfl:.

Mr Fix It has made a lamb curry and that's tea sorted, DGD has requested spag bol so I have taken the HM sauce out of the freezer. Don't know if Dad will turn up, I rang him yesterday and he's ill ( and miserable ) again :(. I should have known that something was up as he was negative about everything last Sunday. I asked if he needed anything or could I do anything and the answer was no. So that's it , I can't do any more for him at present :(.
    Gers glad your Mum is home, hope she goes from strength to strength. She sounds such a lovely lady.
    TA I hope today is a much better day, hugs going to you and Mr TA
    Poppy we have the same thoughts, carpe diem. Enjoy every moment lovely xx
    Holly I hope you love your suprise :j
    Hester I take my hat off to you, I only wish I had half of your energy !
    Snoozer I hope you and your DH can sort out the work / life balance. Enjoy the Tattoo.
    AOD I thought doughnuts were part of your 5 a day ;):D

Right I'd better get my tiara on for the princess sleepover party and put the DW on.

Sending hugs to all those who are unwell / caring for poorlies and also for anyone struggling with life in general.
    Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,062
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Afternoon all,

Been busy in real life so haven't been posting,though I think I'm up to date with the news here now.
    Happy to see your DM is home Gers,smiling at the tin in each hand excercise.
    TA & Csarina,hope today finds your OHs feeling better.
    Snoozer,sorry to hear youre in limbo re a diagnosis for DH,enjoy your trip. Poor Ziggy- I don't really have any suggestions as Ly1a is also scared of going to the vets,other than we now try to always see the same vet,he doesn't push his luck with her iyswim and keeps his distance until she's come round a bit.It's on her notes now that she's very nervous.She's far too big to get on the treatment table so he ends up kneeling on the floor sometimes :) She has had a lot of visits recently ,also due to ears and I think the place has become a bit more familiar too,which has helped.They did suggest just taking her to be weighed now and again so there was nothing uncomfortable to experience .Hope DD finds a solution.

Poppy,it's good to hear of the different treatment plan,you sound very positive and I'm sure it helps xx

Elona - Congratulations on becoming a granny :j

One of the things I have been doing is a complete inventory of my food cupboards and freezers.We have bought a small chest freezer,as the freezer in the fridge is very small and the undercounter one is ok but I just dont have enough space for all the stuff for 4 adults and 2 part time GC.I'm hoping I can keep enough milk and bread in there to save me going out almost every day to town on the bus,so should be:money:in the long run and a big time saver with there only being 1 bus an hour.Also been building my store cupboard back up and it's coming along nicely,I'm like a squirrel in autumn :D

DGC are here in a bit,so I don't know why I've tidied up really :rotfl:
    Take care everyone xx
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • Afternoon All, just a quick pop in to give all the poorlies & carers gentle hugs & healing vibes
    Hope everyone has a pleasant Wednesday.

Rained last night so temps are much cooler today & it is very windy.

Had a Chinese meal last night on the static boat Chinese & enough in the doggy bag for dinner tonight.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,570
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks LW and Rosyred. It doesn't matter if the vet is male or female, she will walk into the place quite happily and will be friendly to everyone but as soon as she is lifted on to the table she goes into a frenzy.

I've sent the details of the chamomile to Laura as she probably has some already - she has a set of homeopathic remedies she uses regularly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure