purchased another RX8

Options

Comments

• ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 3:16PM
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. The car went through its MOT only in June by the previous owner and they only passed it when they replaced both real coils and stabiliser links at a cost of £500. There was also an advisory note stating 'rust on rear of car (boot floor/rear wheel arch) will need welding next year'.

I got the car compression tested today and had it on a ramp for an inspection. The compression results were actually quite good and the mechanic was surprised to see such number (high 6s on both rotars). While the underside wasn't terrible for a 12 year old car, there were obvious signs of rust but nothing major to the point where the chassis will imminently break in half due to rust. The mechanic suggested to just remove any debris of rust and use some rust inhabitant to slow down the process. I have left this for now as I still want some more input on the best way to go forward.

Here is a picture of the other side of the car - the lower part of the front wing.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9WkeLjo7PxRmxpOEZlaEktSkhSY1c5MWs0YzRkYU9SNlJr/view?usp=sharing
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ginashamz wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input. The car went through its MOT only in June by the previous owner and they only passed it when they replaced both real coils and stabiliser links at a cost of £500. There was also an advisory note stating 'rust on rear of car (boot floor/rear wheel arch) will need welding next year'.

I got the car compression tested today and had it on a ramp for an inspection. The compression results were actually quite good and the mechanic was surprised to see such number (high 6s on both rotars). While the underside wasn't terrible for a 12 year old car, there were obvious signs of rust but nothing major to the point where the chassis will imminently break in half due to rust. The mechanic suggested to just remove any debris of rust and use some rust inhabitant to slow down the process. I have left this for now as I still want some more input on the best way to go forward.

Here is a picture of the other side of the car - the lower part of the front wing.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9WkeLjo7PxRmxpOEZlaEktSkhSY1c5MWs0YzRkYU9SNlJr/view?usp=sharing

Surely this is as per the advice already given - get two second hand wings and fit them?
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Surely this is as per the advice already given - get two second hand wings and fit them?

The cost of a front wing in good condition is around £100 plus an extra £60 to fit per side so in total £320. Surely, I should just try and sand it down myself and re-spray?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ginashamz wrote: »
    The cost of a front wing in good condition is around £100 plus an extra £60 to fit per side so in total £320. Surely, I should just try and sand it down myself and re-spray?

I know little practical about cars, but even I know that painting over something that is rotting from the inside is a false economy.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't want to put the whole thing down, but the problem is that once you start pulling things apart body-wise to replace bits, you almost inevitably find that the bits that you need to bolt to are nearly as bad, if not worse. And the bits that hold on the bits, that the original bits are bolted to. . .
    You get the idea.
    The fact that there is an advisory on the tinwork on the back end tends to support my suspicions about the body on this car.
    If you're serious about getting the car sorted, rather than just "patching it up until the next ticket" then you need to think about finding someone who can undertake proper restoration work, rather than your average garage.
    Think expensive.
    While this model of the car might be desirable, unless you're an enthusiast willing to do the work yourself, there are probably cars with sound bodywork available much cheaper than those sort of repairs.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    I don't want to put the whole thing down, but the problem is that once you start pulling things apart body-wise to replace bits, you almost inevitably find that the bits that you need to bolt to are nearly as bad, if not worse. And the bits that hold on the bits, that the original bits are bolted to. . .
    You get the idea.
    The fact that there is an advisory on the tinwork on the back end tends to support my suspicions about the body on this car.
    If you're serious about getting the car sorted, rather than just "patching it up until the next ticket" then you need to think about finding someone who can undertake proper restoration work, rather than your average garage.
    Think expensive.
    While this model of the car might be desirable, unless you're an enthusiast willing to do the work yourself, there are probably cars with sound bodywork available much cheaper than those sort of repairs.

Its not uncommon to have to replace wings without it necessarily meaning the rest of the car is rotten.

Not hard or expensive to bolt on a couple of S/H wings
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So this is as well as your M2 which you bought to replace the last RX8 :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844293
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Its not uncommon to have to replace wings without it necessarily meaning the rest of the car is rotten.

Not hard or expensive to bolt on a couple of S/H wings
    No it's not. but you still don't know what's there until you take the old ones off.
    And as I said, the back end underneath needing work doesn't bode well.

I'm just pointing out the possible pitfalls of trying to repair rust to the OP.
    I really do hope that I'm wrong and it's an easy fix for them.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    No it's not. but you still don't know what's there until you take the old ones off.
    And as I said, the back end underneath needing work doesn't bode well.

I'm just pointing out the possible pitfalls of trying to repair rust to the OP.
    I really do hope that I'm wrong and it's an easy fix for them.

As it doesnt seem to be the O/Ps main car, i'd have the wings unbolted and see whats behind it, then make a decision from there and look the parts.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a small bit of bubbling under the back door of my Almera once. Not enough to break the paint.

The garage saw it at MOT time and said it absolutely couldn't be left to get worse. They did some pretty hardcore welding and then guaranteed it as rust free. It wasn't especially cheap and that was a small patch compared to yours.

I would worry that a car that's in that state hasn't been looked after at all. I think it probably is worse than it looks too, and it looks pretty bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure