Catalogue PPI

Hi

I bought a CD player for my car and unfortunately had it stolen. I claimed and it was replaced by the catalogue store. They are now saying that they are going to deduct the amount of the CD player from the PPI that I am owed. I thought PPI was for if you lost your earnings and couldn't pay the monthly repayments - not an insurance for goods.
Please can someone let me know whether I am correct?

Thank you

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You are not correct. When you complain about PPI you are saying you didn't want or need it. You needed it, because you used it. They have identified another failing otherwsie you wouldn't have had a successful complaint. They are correct to deduct what was paid out.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    kateha wrote: »
    I claimed and it was replaced by the catalogue store. They are now saying that they are going to deduct the amount of the CD player from the PPI. I thought PPI was for if you lost your earnings and couldn't pay the monthly repayments - not an insurance for goods.
    PPI does not cover goods you are correct . Are you sure what you complained about was PPI though? If it was, they should not be deducting the cost of a replacement CD player unless they are refunding a full package of insurance that included PPI.

Check what cover you actually had, but this is very likely already explained in your offer letter..
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PPI covers the payments for the finance e.g. if you paid it off over a period of time through a finance package like a loan, though given CD players for cars are usually in the region of 200-300 quid for a normal model that a catalogue store would sell it seems unlikely you'd have PPI on it. Yours sounds more like some sort of extended warranty with insurance included.

Whatever you complained about though, yes it's perfectly logical that if you claimed on the policy, then said you didn't want the policy, they would deduct the cost of the claim - after all, if you didn't want it, you could pay them back for what you claimed and then they can pay you back the premiums.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Many catalogues and store cards also provide other forms of insurance imbedded in with PPI - typically why the cost slightly more than credit cards (usually £1 -£1.50 per £100 outstanding balance), if this is the case then they are correct to say that any benefit from this policy should be deducted from any potential redress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure