Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joshua G.
    • By Joshua G. 8th Apr 19, 8:18 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joshua G.
    T-Roc Handbrake Failure
    • 8th Apr 19, 8:18 PM
    T-Roc Handbrake Failure 8th Apr 19 at 8:18 PM
    Hello

About 2 months ago my girlfriend and I parked our 5 month old T-Roc in a car park, and it had reversed into another car while we were in the shops. I first asked my girlfriend if she'd left the handbrake off, but then she pointed out that we'd seen it in it's spot when we walked from shop 1 to shop 2.

We put the car in the same place and took the handbrake off, we learnt that it would've rolled immediately, so we hadn't left the handbrake off.

When we spoke to the VW dealer we bought the car from, they were confrontational and rude, and told us that it was our fault because we hadn't left the car in first. Whilst this tip is good practise, it is not a rule. The driver's manual stated that you "should" leave it in first, but not that you must.

Fortunately the damage is so small that it's not noticeable, and it didn't roll into the road or a person, so there's no immediate problem. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I no longer want to drive the car, for fear of it rolling away and hitting someone or causing an accident.

VW are doing nothing as they "couldn't find a fault", saying "you probably left the handbrake off". If we had left the AUTOMATIC handbrake off, then we would've noticed while we sat in the car and wrote a shopping list. Or when we were getting out of the car. Or when we walked from one shop to another.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the T-Roc?

We would like to take the issue to watchdog or the ombudsman (or both), but it would help if we could make the complaint with others that are in the same situation.

Thanks in advance,

Joshua G.
Page 2
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 15th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    nickcc
    And yet a 2006 Ford 7.5 ton, (cannot remember the exact model) beeped like crazy if you took the key out of the ignition whilst in neutral.

And how many trucks have rolled off the ramps because they left the handbrake off?

The service place we used had to bring in rules that chocs must be used before the driver got out of the vehicle on the ramps.

HGV tester had no issues with me leaving it in gear when i switched the engine off.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Not talking about the test station as you don't leave the vehicle cab whilst the vehicle is tested, years ago you could leave the cab and actually carry out minor repairs but certainly no longer. HGV's and PSV's wherever I've worked are maintained over pits which are always on the level so leaving the handbrake off and out of gear was always the rule.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Apr 19, 7:55 AM
    • 6,727 Posts
    • 6,652 Thanks
    DoaM
    I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong (if I am) ---- BUT, I was under the impression that all e-brake cars would only start with the clutch in. Therefore leaving a vehicle with an e-brake in gear when parked shouldn't be an issue.
    Originally posted by JamoLew
    Whether that applies to ALL such vehicles, I don't know. But any I have driven in the past (including my current Insignia) required the clutch pedal to be pressed before the engine can be started.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Apr 19, 3:15 PM
    • 28,949 Posts
    • 11,863 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    HGV tester not clear, the HGV driving examiner i meant. When I parked during the test i would shut it down and put it into gear. He made no comment about that.

HGV's over pits, how long ago was that? Pits are a H&S nightmare, people and vehicles falling into them, gases collecting in them and killing people.

Much safer to have a ramp for the vehicle to fall off and for you to bang your head on it.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 15th Apr 19, 4:01 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    nickcc
    HGV tester not clear, the HGV driving examiner i meant. When I parked during the test i would shut it down and put it into gear. He made no comment about that.

HGV's over pits, how long ago was that? Pits are a H&S nightmare, people and vehicles falling into them, gases collecting in them and killing people.

Much safer to have a ramp for the vehicle to fall off and for you to bang your head on it.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Have you ever seen a ramp at a goods vehicle testing station ? The answer is no. Bus repair workshop also have pits. If pits were as unsafe as you suggest how on earth do all the rail companies maintain their trains ? Try putting a loaded HGV on a ramp and see what would happen. Ramps are mainly for cars and LGVs not HGV/PSV's.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Apr 19, 12:33 AM
    • 28,949 Posts
    • 11,863 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Not a testing station the company servicing our HGV's had ramps.

Did you read above where i said HGV tester was worded badly and it was the driving examiner not commenting on being left in gear when parked.

The company that serviced our HGV's did have ramps/lifts installed. Maybe you should google that. Fully loaded maybe not. But who takes a fully loaded vehicle for a service?

They used to service the army trucks and had all sorts of odd vehicles, big enough for cement trucks and large tippers so they had a decent weight limit.

Had to google that and yes there are lifts for a full artic/trailer in excess of 40 ton SWL.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 16-04-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

340Posts Today

4,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin