Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 7:59 AM
    • 329Posts
    • 1,327Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 7:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 7:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -£161,250 | Mar '18: -£151,288.12

Page 18
    • Cefca
    • By Cefca 21st Mar 19, 6:41 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Cefca
    The wages are rubbish, the work is hard, and yes the establishments should pay a living wage but the reality is that they rarely do.
    Originally posted by amber_cloud

This is also the case for many other jobs in many other industries.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 23rd Mar 19, 3:47 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    z1a
    It is not an instruction, it is a sensible suggestion which does not warrant a sarcastic reply on this forum.
    Originally posted by REJP
    It does .
    • Daisymoo73
    • By Daisymoo73 23rd Mar 19, 6:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daisymoo73
    I used to be told that tipping helped make up for a lack of wages. As someone on minimum wage who hardly ever goes out I no longer tip. I grew up with my mum tipping hairdressers and my dad tipping virtually everyone, but I believe that times have changed.
    • eka5757
    • By eka5757 23rd Mar 19, 10:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eka5757
    I do tip, and agree that the employer should pay their staff a proper wage. However, I do know that most restaurant staff are paid minimum wage, so feel if every customer just tips £1 and they serve 5 customers a night, they would be £25 per week better off.
    • shinydoc
    • By shinydoc 24th Mar 19, 7:50 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    shinydoc
    Why?
    A long thread, which I confess that I havenít read in full, as I have my own views.

I hate tipping, as I donít get a tip for doing a good job and you donít tip in McDonalds who are also on minimum wage.

All the time we continue to tip, we subsidise the pay for that industry. If we are suggesting that their basic pay is not sufficient, then people should not do it and then the pay will have to increase to attract the staff!?
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 25th Mar 19, 8:09 AM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 12,912 Thanks
    NBLondon
    especially if they've gone out of their way to make sure you've had a nice time?
    Originally posted by amber_cloud
    That's why you tip. If they haven't gone out of their way and have only done the minimum necessary - that's minimum wage.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 25th Mar 19, 9:13 AM
    • 389 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Takmon
    That's why you tip. If they haven't gone out of their way and have only done the minimum necessary - that's minimum wage.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    I don't think the customer should be "expected" to tip under any circumstances. If a member of staff is doing a good job and is keeping the customers happy (which makes them want to return) then the restaurant employing them should be rewarding the staff for doing a good job and giving the place a good reputation.

You should be able to go into a restaurant and receive a certain level of service as standard depending on the cost/reputation of the place.

Even if someone is paid minimum wage it doesn't mean they should be able to get away with offering bare minimum service if the restaurant expect the staff to do better.
    • Sheldon6363
    • By Sheldon6363 25th Mar 19, 7:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sheldon6363
    As a former waiter I always tip. The fact is, it is not an easy job. Long hours on your feet, customers giving you **** for things that aren't your fault. That job is not worth the minimum or near minimum wage that you get for it. The hours are unsociable you have to deal with people at their worst and drunkest and rarely see friends and family because they're all at home whilst you work the evenings and weekends. Most waiters and waitresses want you to have a good experience it makes there day alot easier and they aren't trying to annoy you. Fact is for the 6/7 quid an hour you can go have a cushy job in a shop or a supermarket . No one would do the job willingly without the prospect of tips it's simply not worth the stress. Anyone who says it's easy has clearly never worked in a busy restaurant.
    • Danipat
    • By Danipat 28th Mar 19, 12:32 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Danipat
    If its been good service, I usually leave a tip. If theres only 2-3 of us then only £2-3 if theres 10 of us maybe £10
    • Les79
    • By Les79 28th Mar 19, 11:03 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    Les79
    As a former waiter I always tip. The fact is, it is not an easy job. Long hours on your feet, customers giving you **** for things that aren't your fault. That job is not worth the minimum or near minimum wage that you get for it. The hours are unsociable you have to deal with people at their worst and drunkest and rarely see friends and family because they're all at home whilst you work the evenings and weekends. Most waiters and waitresses want you to have a good experience it makes there day alot easier and they aren't trying to annoy you. Fact is for the 6/7 quid an hour you can go have a cushy job in a shop or a supermarket . No one would do the job willingly without the prospect of tips it's simply not worth the stress. Anyone who says it's easy has clearly never worked in a busy restaurant.
    Originally posted by Sheldon6363
    I *get* what you are saying, but I would also like to advise that there are equally crappy jobs (but in different ways) out there. Many of them DON'T result in tips being given.

We don't tip the minimum wage call centre worker when we call up about a problem with one of our services and kick off at them, do we?
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 31st Mar 19, 8:18 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 2,242 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Fact is for the 6/7 quid an hour you can go have a cushy job in a shop or a supermarket . No one would do the job willingly without the prospect of tips it's simply not worth the stress. Anyone who says it's easy has clearly never worked in a busy restaurant.
    Youíve just gotta laff...... letís have a willy waving competition to see what the worse minimum wage job is. We can then compare it to...take order, give to kitchen, bring food & drink, clear table, bring bill. Well slap my buttocks thatís going to be tough to beat in the crappiest minimum wage job stakes.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 1st Apr 19, 11:19 AM
    • 23,727 Posts
    • 12,195 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Youíve just gotta laff...... letís have a willy waving competition to see what the worse minimum wage job is. We can then compare it to...take order, give to kitchen, bring food & drink, clear table, bring bill. Well slap my buttocks thatís going to be tough to beat in the crappiest minimum wage job stakes.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    You donít ever ask the sommelier for wine advice then?
    • jjhdee
    • By jjhdee 13th Apr 19, 11:27 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jjhdee
    Yes. The only instance we didn't have to was during a trip to Japan where tipping is not socially acceptable and seen as an insult.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 14th Apr 19, 5:04 AM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 3,820 Thanks
    Kim kim
    As an ex waitress I would like to see tipping abandoned as the old fashioned practice it is and a fair wage for the job paid.

I remember in the 80s my mum who had a job where her minimum wage was minimal & she made two thirds of her income on the tips.
    Well she got breast cancer and was looking at months off, on a minimum wage that wouldnít cover her bills.
    The wage should be realistic, put the prices up to cover and scrap tipping.
    • Cefca
    • By Cefca 15th Apr 19, 4:56 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Cefca
    As an ex waitress I would like to see tipping abandoned as the old fashioned practice it is and a fair wage for the job paid.
    Originally posted by Kim kim

They already do get a fair wage, in the UK at least.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 15th Apr 19, 5:39 PM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Robisere
    Yes, for good service and a good meal. Isn't that what I'm there for?

No, If service is terrible and/or the meal is rubbish. If the waiter service was good, but the food was not, I explain that is why there will be no tip.

Does that put this interminable, never-ending Topic to bed?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 15th Apr 19, 10:13 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Strange one, food is good you tip the waiter/waitress, last time i checked they didn't cook the food.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 15th Apr 19, 10:32 PM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 3,820 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Strange one, food is good you tip the waiter/waitress, last time i checked they didn't cook the food.
    Originally posted by Marvel1
    The whole thing is a mockery.
    Wages should be a fair wage to attract the right staff for the eating establishment. Food should be priced to include all costs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

505Posts Today

5,593Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin