Divorce costs

Options
I have been legally separated from my husband for over 2 years. Our separation agreement states that the costs of divorce proceedings shall be met by the husband and wife equally.
However, I didnt ask for the divorce and as agreed would pay half of the £550 for the court. I don’t see why I have to pay half his solicitors fees though? Am I right to complain?

Thanks

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I wouldn't interpret that as you splitting the costs of legal advice, just the costs of the proceedings i.e. the fee - you should both be seeking separate legal advice, so you'd incur (roughly) the same legal advice bill.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Bailey100
    Options
    I only had my free half hour and was advised to pay half of the court fees only. So today when I received a letter from his solicitor saying I had to pay half of the the costs of the divorce plus court fees I wasn’t sure what I am meant to be paying as it wasn’t me that asked for a divorce.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If your separation agreement says divorce costs, then it is half of both the legal and court fees.
    If it says court costs, then it would just be half of the £550.

What has changes since you signed the separation agreement , that you feel you shouldn't pay, despite the agreement?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Bailey100
    Options
    Nothing has changed it’s just that I know you don’t need a solicitor to get a divorce so it is just annoying that he has gone ahead and I have to pay half of it all and I thought I just had to pay half the court fees. Thanks for your replies
  • EstherG
    EstherG Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The main cost of a divorce is spent nerves!
    I love my family!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport