How to tax car as new keeper with 11 digit number on V5C/2

On the 1st of next month we are transferring ownership of a car from my parents to my wife.
I have been checking the process of taxing this vehicle on-line but is requires a 12 digit number on a new keeper part of the log book - the vehicle has a old green log book with only a 11 digit number that the on-line system doesn't like.
There clearly must be a way of doing this to avoid the need to go to one of the few remaining rural post offices (there isn't one where I work).
I cant event find a contact email address or contact form to ask this direct of the DVLA - not very customer friendly!
Can anyone help please?
Thanks,
Julian

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A rural post office probably won't be much help.

DVLA vehicle tax service
    Telephone: 0300 123 4321
    24-hour service
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Julian_F wrote: »
    On the 1st of next month we are transferring ownership of a car from my parents to my wife.
    I have been checking the process of taxing this vehicle on-line but is requires a 12 digit number on a new keeper part of the log book - the vehicle has a old green log book with only a 11 digit number that the on-line system doesn't like.
    There clearly must be a way of doing this to avoid the need to go to one of the few remaining rural post offices (there isn't one where I work).
    I cant event find a contact email address or contact form to ask this direct of the DVLA - not very customer friendly!
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks,
    Julian

I've read elsewhere that you can simply add a zero to the start of the 11 digit number and it'll work.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    A red V5C should have been sent to your parents automatically around 2014. Did they really not receive it? If it's been misplaced somewhere, then the docref on that old V5C won't work, anyway, with or without the additional digit, simply because it's not the most recent V5C.
  • Try adding a number 0-9 before the 11 digit ref code when taxing online as Johno100 suggested...just keep trying from 0 upwards until it accepts one of the numbers
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Julian_F wrote: »
    Can anyone help please?
    Thanks,
    Julian

Green V5?

s300_V5C_Old_New.jpg

DVLA has now completed automatic roll out of the red vehicle registration certificate (V5C). It is now encouraging the keepers of any vehicles who still have an old style blue V5C to replace it with new a red V5C free of charge. This can be done by sending the original blue V5C with a covering letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA
  • Tiexen wrote: »
    ,Green V5?

The original V5 was green, replaced by the blue then red V5C.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    Which was the ones the DVLA had stolen the blue or the green?

They should have a red one though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Which was the ones the DVLA had stolen the blue or the green?

The red one replaced the blue one (which had been stolen) in 2013, which replaced the green one in 2005.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure