FreedomPop no longer free from 29 July

Options
Just received this email from FreedomPop
Plan Change Alert

We hope you are enjoying your FreedomPop service and want to inform you of upcoming changes to your plan. Due to an increase in fraud and abuse, the 200 Basic Free plan will be replaced by the upgraded new Essential plan which consists of 5x more data, 1GB per month with the same 200 minutes / 200 sms. The price of the new value Essential plan will be just £3.49 per month.

If you don't take any action by July 29th, your will account be enrolled in new Essential plan. If you do not wish to continue with this plan, please change to any other plan or cancel your account by July 29th. Your account can be accessed by logging onto the FreedomPop site.

©2018 FreedomPop
16 Great Queen Street | Covent Garden, London WC2B 5AH, UK

Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe | View in Browser

I've already made a request for my PAC to transfer the number away, probably to Three.

Comments

• 1D1F
    1D1F Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 July 2018 at 12:54AM
    Options
    Got the same email. Major blow, as I run two occasional use phones on it. Guess it was always too good to be true. Though implying we're 'fraudsters' and 'abusers' leaves a bad taste!

The people who run the UK operation just did a poor job enticing users onto paid plans. I might have paid a small sub for a small data plan, but the dreadful quality of their phone service was always a turn off. Maybe GDPR is a factor in this, as they probably can't now send offers to monetise us.

Lets hope it doesn't give Three ideas, as their free 200mb a month data sim must have been influenced by FPop.
  • its_all_over
    its_all_over Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    I was actually considering a Three 200mb sim to transfer the number to as I got quite a memorable number from them, I've been using the sim for when I placed my gumtree adverts as it's really been convenient for texts as I was using the FreedomPop app on my tablet.

It's going to be missed, I hate using my contract number for things like gumtree adverts.
  • gas123
    gas123 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Also disappointed - have been using the free 200 plan for years.
    Just got my pac code . Will probably move to ID mobile sim only £3.99 which now seems the cheapest - unless anyone has better offer price wise.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't received the 'Plan Change Alert' but have received something disturbing.

My credit card statement includes this:
    Freedompop Eu Limited +441138870823 £4.99
    presumably for a call to 0113 887 0823.

I have made no such call and was about to ask the credit card company for more details. In the light of the messages you have received, I wonder if it's for some kind of unannounced FreedomPop subscription.

I Google'd the number and at the top of the results list was
    uk.freedompop.com/complaints-code
    If you're not happy with our service and would like to complain, please write us from http://uk.freedompop.com/contact or call 01138870823 from UK. Or if you're ...
    Oo er. Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmmm - I've got a couple of Freedompop SIMs for occasional use, but I haven't received any mails.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2018 at 3:19PM
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I haven't received the 'Plan Change Alert' but have received something disturbing.

My credit card statement includes this: presumably for a call to 0113 887 0823.
    I don't think that you'll ever find itemised calls in your credit card statement. In fact it's their CS number http://uk.freedompop.com/complaints-code
    The charge is obviously for some other calls or for going over 200Mb limit. IIRC it's the minimum topup they take for anything that isn't free.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    Hmmm - I've got a couple of Freedompop SIMs for occasional use, but I haven't received any mails.
    Are they active?
    As based on my experience they go sort of dormant pretty soon if not used.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Are they active?
    As based on my experience they go sort of dormant pretty soon if not used.
    They might well have gone off; I try and ping things overy few months, but haven't so much felt the need recently.
  • Saeed
    Saeed Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    I got the email too. It's a real shame as I was getting 400MB of free data every month which is essential and the occasional call/text was a bonus.

I guess the alternative is the 3 free data sim but that only has 200mb free per month but no calls/texts

Anyone know any better deals.....?
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Cashback contract with unlimited minutes and texts and 500mb for £3.50 after claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure