PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Topher wrote: »
    My two adult children are familiar with my MMM ways, but I still have to "hold my nerve" with extended family and now my son's new in law family when I come up with ideas........... My DIL is completely on board with the low cost & charity shop ways and is starting to sew from scratch in a pretty impressive way, I'm just a little concerned about always appearing mean (yes, in so many words) by her family.

I don't think you appear mean, more the opposite. You've put thought, love and time into the Easter gifts for your DGCs and have inspired your DDiL to start sewing so don't worry about what her family thinks. Good suggestion from dND to call what you do "ethical". :D
    dND wrote: »
    I always baulk at the overpricing of chocolate (or any other seasonally packaged item), just because it is Easter chocolate (or Christmas chocolate) .

Oh, how I agree with you on that one!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Topher, I would even say your dil will appreciate you backing her up against (within?) her family.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Had a really productive day. Hubby and I 'minimised' some old clothes to a charity shop. We also had clothes which were too worn for the charity shop, and some general rubbish so we took them to the local recycling centre.

Made do - I had a dig round the 'worn out' clothes before we bagged them up, and ripped up some old t-shirts to use as cleaning cloths :)

Our wooden bench and garden shed were looking quite tired (the bench had moss on it!), so we popped to B&Q and bought some of that Ronseal stuff and they now look much better. Does this count as my first mend?? :rotfl:
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies, they will help me "hold my nerve", I'm just sometimes caused to doubt my approach in the teeth of some of the comments or attitudes I come across. It's lovely to find a community here who understand my values.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have been doing much minimizing. Crockery, paperwork and books. Being to get some space. Have sorted out more books that need to go to the League of Friends shop.

Mend. I have sewn on a couple of buttons onto a couple of shirts.

Made do with food in the house.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Bit lazy yesterday and bought a SM curry for us both but in my defence Mlud it was on offer
    Today's meals will be from the freezer
    Mend - took in a sparkly dress for DGD - am now finding sequins all very the place lol. I've also got a pair of curtains to tackle for DiL sometime.......!
    Minimise - still plugging away at the freezer stocks :( must curb my siege mentality
    Have a good day all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Lilith1980 wrote: »

Our wooden bench and garden shed were looking quite tired (the bench had moss on it!), so we popped to B&Q and bought some of that Ronseal stuff and they now look much better. Does this count as my first mend?? :rotfl:

Lilith1980,

Could you sit on the bench or brush past the shed without getting your clothes stained/dirty? If not then the clean up etc counts as a mend imho :T you could also class it as a minimise - of moss & dirt :j :rotfl:

My minimising/decluttering is still ongoing, the make do is from freezer & larder stocks but not found anything to mend yet ! Unless I can count cleaning my vases ready for use - hopefully (even if I have to treat myself) :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DH and I had a thorough clean of the house yesterday. He was complaining that I did not see how dirty it was, and that I let it get really dirty. That is not true, I see how dirty it is, but as it was him who cancelled our cleaning service (we can afford it, it is under a Belgian government scheme) I do not see why I should do more than I did before :).

Anyway, as I was putting stuff away and he was cleaning :D, I threw out many of the dds tiny toys, old playd0h crafts, bits of paper, removed all dhs papers from the living room and stacked them in our office on his keyboard. DDs were helping, too, putting all their toys back in the proper containers. Their dressing-up container is overflowing, so I have to go through it next week, when they are at my parents.

DD1 minimized a growth on her earlobe on Friday. It was a small and straightforward operation, but it still took us from 9.30 until 17.00 at the hospital, as it was done under complete sedation. DD and her ear are doing well :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • I am very impressed Siebrie :T

Maybe now your DH has had to do the cleaning, he will reinstate the cleaning service. :rotfl: I love it that you stuck to your decision Not to clean :rotfl:

Make do - fishfingers & bread from the freezer.

Mend - batteries into a mini radio

Minimise - dirt off the window frames & glass in the living room, paperwork recycled & personal paperwork shredded, dining room table & four wooden chairs collected by cs.

Keep up the good work everyone.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Lilith1980,

Could you sit on the bench or brush past the shed without getting your clothes stained/dirty? If not then the clean up etc counts as a mend imho :T you could also class it as a minimise - of moss & dirt :j :rotfl:

I'll take that ha ha!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport