PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing the locks....

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My parents never have changed the locks, but they have changed the burglar alarm code.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Take a new set of locks when you first enter the property, and don't leave it till you've installed the new ones.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have never changed the locks.

However on my current house I have at various times changed all four external doors so the locks are now different from those when I bought. ;)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Take a new set of locks when you first enter the property, and don't leave it till you've installed the new ones.
    Or rather more sensibly, check what types of locks you need after you arrive, and then go out and buy them.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    It had slipped my mind re the one thing that happened to me - quite some time back.

A previous tenant (that was back in the days I was renting) turned up and tried to get in. Courtesy of being "under the influence" he'd got it in his mind he still lived there:eek: Thankfully he wasnt able to let himself in (courtesy of a lock change) and the situation was resolved okay. But I don't fancy the thought of how things might have gone if he had just been able to let himself in...
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Appreciate you can buy cheap locks but in terms of getting a locksmith to fit them how much are we talking?
    If you have euro locks its easy to do yourself. Try removing and refitting one of your current locks.
    Spend the money you save by fitting them yourself on better locks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9A915L_mlk
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Or rather more sensibly, check what types of locks you need after you arrive, and then go out and buy them.
    Yes, mortice locks in particular aren't all the same size, so having the old one to measure is important.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've never bothered. :o
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    My front door has two locks, I just changed the Yale (a few quid from B&Q, plus 4 mins of my dad's time with a screwdriver). I bought in a probate sale from an elderly lady who had carers and a gardener and who knows what else coming round.

After all those years renting when you had the LL, agent, agent's dodgy handyman and x number of former tenants with potential access, it was really nice to know it was just me who could get in.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Appreciate you can buy cheap locks but in terms of getting a locksmith to fit them how much are we talking?

I honestly wouldn't know about a locksmith...but please check out how easy it is to do first. It's normally a couple of screws from the side and then put key in and turn to 10 o'clock and pull out barrel. There's not drilling etc (maybe you are thinking of when locksmiths come round to drill locks, that's when they dont have a key).

I kid you not, my mum rang me a few weeks ago to tell me she'd done it for my sister's new house. If you've never met my mum, she's the sort or person that would struggle to know the right end of a hammer.

Barrels from £10 at screwfix etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport