PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr Pea Seedling is cowering with shame. He saw you coming and couldn't face the humiliation :rotfl:
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Softstuff wrote: »
    Part of the reason we always loved her classes is her boundless joy and it's infectious.

Funnily enough, that's the main thing I hate about zumba - the relentless enthusiasm of the instructors.. :rotfl: Smiling and whooping away - I end up muttering expletives under my breath :p

Glad you are on the mend Fuddle, and good to 'see' you burtha, we've been worried.

Well it's a glorious day here - OH and i went out for an early morning walk, it's so lovely.

Wishing you luck with the move NM. The house I am in now is the longest I've lived anywhere - coming up for 20 years. When we moved into it there were a few hitches and we ended up being on holiday whilst the sale was going through. We got off a boat from Spain at 9.00 Wednesday morning - with a 4 hour drive ahead of us. The packers came on Thursday and we moved on Friday. I was 10 weeks pregnant with a 2 year old and sick as a dog - I walked out of the old house clutching a broom in one hand and a bottle of gin in the other :rotfl: (we couldn't close it properly so it had to come with me). Regrettably, I couldn't clean the house in that time :o

Our house is all but finished, after 6 months. Photos will follow... hopefully today.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Morning all. I'm really looking forward to the less cold weather today. I am hoping that the Spring Equjnox heralds the end of cold and shivers. I know that we can have snow in June, but not this year please. I think we have had our share of discomfort and misery.

After my lazy day yesterday I feel compelled to do something positive today, not that I'm prepared to put myself out too much, but for my own self respect I must do something. I'll start with sorting out a couple of stationery drawers, I have the habit of keeping old envelopes for re-use as shopping lists or jotting down telephone messages. I'd have to be working in a multi-national company to use up the those I have accumulated. Recycling is the way to go!

Severe decluttering is about to commence. I've lived in large houses for way too long so a bog standard two bedroomed bungalow is going to be a culture shock. I'll be looking to you nursemaggie, for hints and tips.

Upward and onward.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

I thought I needed to be more organised. Now I know that I just needed less stuff.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Funnily enough, that's the main thing I hate about zumba - the relentless enthusiasm of the instructors.. :rotfl: Smiling and whooping away - I end up muttering expletives under my breath :p
    I get what you mean. I left a class that was all skippy, hi-fivey, fake smiley glee... I was grumbling under my breath about the instructor in her tiny skirt and knee high socks :rotfl: And she didn't break a sweat. This one is different to me, she's not faking it for one, and she sweats and works hard, but it's all horses for courses ;)

I can't wait to see your house! :j

Monna, read the Marie Kondo books, it may not help with your decluttering but it'll give you another reason to procrastinate for a day or two :p
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    nursemaggie How typical about the bungalow!

Softstuff You certainly seem to have enjoyed the Zumba class :j

monnagran If only I could persuade OH that he needs less stuff :( We're going on a "proper holiday" (i.e. not just visiting family/friends) in a few weeks and my suitcase is un-gettable, on a shelf at the far side of the box room.! He will no doubt insist that we only need one case between us, which he will three-quarters fill with his own stuff and then be surprised that I complain that there's not enough room for my clothes. He refuses to Kondo-fold things when packing, so no point me trying to.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2018 at 12:03PM
    ivyleaf it needs someone else to point out the clutter he will most likely leave you to sort out in the end. You're too close to him.

Soft stuff beat you too it this morning monna.

You have got me thinking what am I going to do with my old coat when my new one comes. This little bin will be half full with that in it and it has to last two weeks. It's no good for anyone else the stuffing is coming out through the lining. I am not paying £92 in M&S again when a cheap one lasts at least 3 years not two.

I actually ordered two one for spring and one for Winter in a sale in on an American site. They gave the measurements of everything to be sure they get sizing right. The only thing they do not give the measurements for is the buttons. Should not have the problems I had with the last one.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Softstuff, I read the first Marie Kondo book several years ago and was quite excited. Not excited enough to put it into practice, alas. I also have the Spark Joy book and absolutely love the comment made by someone, that it did actually work. After reading that you should dispose of anything that didn't give you a spark of joy when you held it, she had thrown out all her vegetables and the electricity bill.

nm, next time you go to a supermarket, have a look at the bins in the car park. Our Mr Ts has a range of huge bins including one for clothes and shoes. Come to that, there is one of those up in the village. Also our rubbish collectors will take fabrics as long as they are in a separate bag and clearly marked. I have got rid of a few dead duvets this way.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • nursemaggie
    No monna the bins outside! They will not allow anything but a little tiny bin which they supply. Nothing will be taken if it is not in the bin. If the lid is just slightly ajar they will not empty it. They will not empty a recycle bin if it has anything that should be in another bin in it. like an envelope in the plastics one.

This is our problem with the refugees. They go on piling things on top of the bin until it falls all over the yard. They put things in the wrong bins even though the council have been and labelled them all with pictures. After someone sorts them out seconds later they are all piled up again.

There are no recycle bins at Mr M. Mr S does not have an nor are there any in the car park on the rest of that trading estate. All other supermarkets are two buses each way. I don't think there are any recycle centers except at the tip which is a £13 taxi ride away each way. I am not paying £26 to get rid of a coat.

We have acquired a lot of stuff waiting to go to the tip. We may have to waste a box on the bits. I think I may as well have two collections. I ordered a new computer last night. It is here already. That,s two computers, plus the peripherals, DS's old hair drier, a book case, a very old iphone dock, an old stick vacuum cleaner (not one of these modern ones, even and old broom and mop, just lots of stuff you are not allowed to put in a dustbin any more.

When they stick recycle centers in an area where buses don't go they just don't think of all the people who don't have cars. I bet the same people also work out what people on benefits need to live on, so they don't allow for cars.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    NM could you give the coat to a charity shop? Even if it isn't wearable the vast majority of textiles aren't that get donated. They still bring money to the charity as they're weighed in as rag items. HTH
  • nursemaggie
    I think they will refuse it as it is spring. I think I will have to put it with the other stuff to go out as we will have to pay to have it collected. I just hope they don't charge £35 per item like West Sussex did as most things are smaller than a shoe box in size. I waited until someone visited with a car. They counted everything that was a separate item if it was part of something ie a sideboard was charged £35 for each door and each draw and then the body. My dresser as counted like that would cost £270 to take a way as it also comes to pieces.

I would never give it away. It is huge solid rubber wood made by hand with no nails or screws but it does have draw and cupboard handles in metal. I don't know if I can afford to store it somewhere if it won't fit into my new flat, where ever it may be. I do know DD loves it so they could end up house hunting for a room to fit it.

DS could not get an appointment for the two bedroom flat he saw advertised yesterday, as it is not vacant yet. The one bedroom flat was so small it would all fit into this room, all the walls were curved. He could only fit a single bed into the bedroom if he put it against the wall, there was no room for furniture anywhere. The lift was barely big enough for two people so you could not get anything in anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback