PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing the locks....

12346»

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks all :-) We are definitely going to do it. Going to dug through our photos and see if we managed to take any good ones of thr doors just so we know what sort of locks we will be dealing with and if we can do it ourselves. I didn't realise it was so simple - but also worrying. Surely any old burglar could come across and do this then!?
    It's only easy when the door is already unlocked :)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Eventually one realises that someone else's self-destructiveness can affect oneself/one's own possessions. You let it pass the first time - but when they put you/your possessions at risk again - there comes a point where one thinks "It ain't safe knowing them - I could get hauled down with them and suffer health problems/personal attack/robbery because they're this way"....

Oh money you do crack me up!
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My husband had to change the lock on my friend’s door after she gave a key to a boyfriend, who, when dumped, refused to give it back. We had a spare lock so we swapped it for hers. When we moved house, we used her old one to replace the one in our new home.

Davesnave is right when he says that the best security is watchful neighbours. One of my friends was reported to the police for breaking into his own home, after locking himself out! :rotfl:
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    barbiedoll wrote: »

Davesnave is right when he says that the best security is watchful neighbours.
    Yup, just upgraded mine at the back entrance: doddery, blind and deaf 86 year old, to a sprightly 60-something with 2 dogs. :D
  • Asl77c
    Asl77c Posts: 87 Forumite
    kinger101 wrote: »
    It's a good idea. Change them to anti-bump and anti-drill locks. You can get them keyed alike as well (i.e., one key for all locks).

It can be done DIY (instructional videos on Youtube).

So if someone can't get in your front door because you left a chain on when a key got lost, they can get in through any other door they like! Never heard of this one key for every lock craziness lol.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 July 2018 at 9:03AM
    Myself and my Partner are buying our first house (eeek excited!!). We said our first in would be to change the locks. Both sets of parents looked at us as if we were nuts and said they have NEVER changed the locks in ANY of their houses.

Is this a wasted expense no one usually bothers with!?

Change them. You don't know who has a set of keys otherwise.

We have just changed the locks of our rental property after the last tenant vacated.

When we moved into our bungalow in 2015, we had no need to change the locks because we changed all the doors :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Must admit after the reminder of the parents attitude that my first thought was "With parents like that = never listen to a word of advice they give about anything":rotfl: I'd have been thinking "I'm more practical than my parents - thought it was supposed to be the other way round....."
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    I'm in the 'change your locks camp'.

A couple of years ago I went to view a flat with a friend. The EA was late and had brought the wrong keys. He rang another EA in town and they gave him their copies!

It turned out the flat had been on the market for a wee while, and on with more than one agent, so gawd knows how many keys were out there.

Definitely changing the locks when I finally get a house :cool:
    Liechtenstein, the world's sixth smallest country, is the largest exporter of false teeth.
  • muz3562
    muz3562 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 July 2018 at 10:33PM
    Im a FTB and when I do finally get the keys to a place I fully intend to change the locks on completion day .

You dont know the full history of the property , it could have been rented out and had multiple keys cut over the years , frankly you dont know who has a copy of the key for that lock . You can always keep the locks and put them back in when you move out that way you will always have locks you know only you have ever had keys for when it comes to future properties . And you dont have to change any spare sets you give to other people assuming they fit future properties .

Potentially moving thousands of pounds of belongings and your family into a home , the last thing you want is some weirdo turning up and letting themselves in
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure