Do you click & collect toiletries, nappies etc at the airport?

Options
Boots lets you click & collect at its airport stores - we reckon it could be handy for saving space in hold luggage, or getting around liquid limits in your hand luggage.

Do you use it for bulky items like toiletries, nappies, baby food etc? (And if not - would you consider it?)
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't see how airports would permit such a procedure to circumvent relevant regulations.

From Boots Q&A

Do you deliver to airport stores?

Yes, however, there are exclusions on what you can order to an airport store. Please visit the relevant airport's website to find these exclusions.

To place an order for delivery to an airport store, enter the airport name into the town field on the collect from store section of checkout.

We dont offer the order today, collect tomorrow service in airport stores. The delivery time is a minimum five working days so please allow plenty of time for your order to arrive in store.

Interesting question nevertheless - please let us know how things pan out.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't see how airports would permit such a procedure to circumvent relevant regulations.

But if you can buy these items from airside shops (which you can) what's the difference? :huh:

The only problem I can see is whether airlines would allow the extra bags into the cabin if the items don't fit into the cabin bag someone's already taking on.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    MSE_Sarah wrote: »
    Boots lets you click & collect at its airport stores - we reckon it could be handy for saving space in hold luggage, or getting around liquid limits in your hand luggage.

Do you use it for bulky items like toiletries, nappies, baby food etc? (And if not - would you consider it?)
    I wouldn't use it for toiletries as I'm quite picky about what brands I use and wouldn't risk not being able to get the specific item I want.

Unless we're doing a city break on hand-luggage only, my toiletries go in my hold luggage.

I wouldn't want to lug 2 or 3 bottles of suncream, mouthwash, shower gel, shampoo etc around with me - onto the plane, off the plane, through Immigration, to luggage reclaim, onto the transfer coach or taxi.
    I like to have one single bag to worry about.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

From Boots Q&A

Do you deliver to airport stores?

Yes, however, there are exclusions on what you can order to an airport store. Please visit the relevant airport's website to find these exclusions.

To place an order for delivery to an airport store, enter the airport name into the town field on the collect from store section of checkout.

We dont offer the order today, collect tomorrow service in airport stores. The delivery time is a minimum five working days so please allow plenty of time for your order to arrive in store.

Interesting question nevertheless - please let us know how things pan out.

They do permit it. There's no difference between using Boots click and collect and buying it off the shelf other than the guarantee of getting what you want.

Following your logic that this circumvents regulations no liquids would be available airside.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Er nope. Savvy travellers have already researched where they can buy stuff when they get there. Nappies are so much cheaper at ALDI and Lidl and they have many stores in holiday destinations.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Options
    Yet another daft and pointless mse generated thread.

I'd say 'you couldn't make it up!' But they do. Frequently.:mad:
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So what happens when you turn up at the departure gate with your basic cabin baggage allowance in one hand and a big bag of nappies or whatever in the other?

Easyjet would tell you that it all has to go into your single case. Other airlines have different restrictions but what have you achieved? My wife once reached the departure gate clutching her Boots Meal Deal and was told to pack it into her single case before boarding.

Has MSE Sarah ever been with a budget airline?
  • MSE_Sarah
    MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your feedback so far.
    So what happens when you turn up at the departure gate with your basic cabin baggage allowance in one hand and a big bag of nappies or whatever in the other?

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/cabin-bag-and-hold-luggage - "You're allowed to bring some extra things into the cabin. e.g. umbrella, overcoat, crutches, walking stick, one standard shopping bag of duty free goods bought at the airport."

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage/What-cabin-baggage-can-I-carry - "Duty free bags are permitted in the cabin along with your cabin baggage"
    Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Sarah wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your feedback so far.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/cabin-bag-and-hold-luggage - "You're allowed to bring some extra things into the cabin. e.g. umbrella, overcoat, crutches, walking stick, one standard shopping bag of duty free goods bought at the airport."

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage/What-cabin-baggage-can-I-carry - "Duty free bags are permitted in the cabin along with your cabin baggage"

But Boots click & collect isn't duty free goods.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2018 at 5:01PM
    Options
    There has been a pound shop effect on many lines at Boots with previously high priced goods such as shower gel being priced at a £1 and 75p and yes I have been known to buy these airside to avoid the 100ml liquid rule, but it would be pointless to do this on click n collect, so there is no story here.

With nappies, many parents may want to take some with them to avoid the risk of the non delivery click n collect, or if they run out of time at the airport. Parents get very savvy with travelling with infants, to ensure there are no problems with the holiday.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure