PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is This Illegal?

Options
Hello everyone :)

My letting agents installed emergency lighting and a fire alarm in my building which has 4 flats in it. But they're running off the electricity of one of the flats downstairs rather than the landlord having it connected to his own meter.

The bloke that is renting the flat in question is away for weeks at a time and his key meter keeps running out of electricity, rendering the emergency lighting and fire alarm useless for long periods.

I've done a search on Google but haven't been able to find anything that says that this is illegal, but it has to be...right?

Any hell will be very much appreciated, ta! :beer:

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends whether the building is legally obliged to have a fire alarm and emergency lighting (though I'm guessing the agency probably haven't installed them just as an added bonus).

Have you actually spoken to the agency about it? I presume it was a bodge by their contractor rather than something they specified, so they may be as disappointed as you about it.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This does seem weird and I wonder whether the downstairs tenant is aware that he is paying for this!

I agree that the first step would be to contact the letting agents / landlord and flag up the fact that the fire alarm and emergency lighting are not working.

If they don't respond, then it might be worth contacting your local fire brigade or the environmental health officer at the local council, for advice.

Whether or not it is illegal will depend on whether there is an obligation to have fire alarms and emergency lighting in the common areas. I don't think it is always a requirement.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I would definitely seek the opinion of the local fire brigade. Sounds very much like the kind of cack-handed bodge an agency contracted handyman would do.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Options
    Point out to agent you will involve council if they don't sort this daft stupidity quickly
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy a few battery smoke alarms in the meantime - they smoke alarms should be linked to the landlords supply.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    If the fire alarm is hard wired, then connecting it to a coin / pre-pay meter seems daft in the extreme.

Should have it's own dedicated supply - the building is almost certainly going to have it's own circuit for stairs / landing / power plugs for shared areas billed to the freeholder, so this has definitely been installed incorrectly.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Buy a few battery smoke alarms in the meantime - they smoke alarms should be linked to the landlords supply.

Yes, do this for your own safety, but still make sure the landlord sorts this properly!
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    This does seem weird and I wonder whether the downstairs tenant is aware that he is paying for this!

Probably wondering how on earth he can be using so much power when he is away!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,417 Forumite
    Options
    My letting agents installed emergency lighting and a fire alarm in my building which has 4 flats in it.

Have you contacted the letting agents?

And what does the owner of the flat in question have to say about the matter?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Call the local Council's Housing Standards team. They will advise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure