Proof of address - bank statement

Options

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Back to the question. Yes it's legal. You do not have to provide anything, not even a passport. It's entirely up to you. They don't have to employ you, and that's entirely up to them. So they can, if they wish, ask you to stand on your head whilst whistling Yankee Doodle; or to bring a copy of your sheet music for an original composition.

GDPR is irrelevant - it has no relevance in respect of information that you are asked for by someone, nor whether they have a right to ask for it. You are volunteering to provide that information. So it is only relevant to how they process and store that data after they get it.

If you don't want to provide the information, don't provide it. Simples.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »

GDPR is irrelevant - it has no relevance in respect of information that you are asked for by someone, nor whether they have a right to ask for it. You are volunteering to provide that information. So it is only relevant to how they process and store that data after they get it.

Quoted for posterity. So sick of ANY data collection being throw around as some huge GDPR breach. We had the data protection act before, its not as if we were all stashing credit card information in our purses and printing out medical history and making flags out of it before GDPR came along and saved us...
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    Maybe apply to better companies if you are worried the ones you are applying to will steal your identity.

You have no credit history, no ones stealing your identity, and if they do they'll be disappointed, matez.

I was at a recruitment agent and he took a picture of my passport. You don’t think that’s weird?

I have a credit card and money in the bank.... so I think I do.
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    Quoted for posterity. So sick of ANY data collection being throw around as some huge GDPR breach. We had the data protection act before, its not as if we were all stashing credit card information in our purses and printing out medical history and making flags out of it before GDPR came along and saved us...

It’s made changes to my present job....
  • marliepanda
    Options
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5855484

You've had a credit card for all of a month.

Seriously looking at all your other threads I dont see the point of you posting. You don't take anyones advice, you just get 'sassy' with them when they dont agree with you.

You didnt have a job a month ago, so Im sure any HUGE GDPR changes that were made between then and now were already in place before you started...
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s made changes to my present job....
    Actual changes? or just made everyone more aware of the risks of breaching data protection basics
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5855484

You've had a credit card for all of a month.

Seriously looking at all your other threads I dont see the point of you posting. You don't take anyones advice, you just get 'sassy' with them when they dont agree with you.

You didnt have a job a month ago, so Im sure any HUGE GDPR changes that were made between then and now were already in place before you started...

You can read a sentence without an tone and put on “sassy”.

I think it’s very wise to be cautious about giving away copies of all your ID, don’t you?

I have started back at a company I worked for a few years ago, for quite a number of years. Things have changed.
  • JessyRM
    JessyRM Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, you can blank out the balance and transactions. I've worked in various roles where proof of ID is requested at interview stage and I've never had someone complain. This is not to make any judgements but purely for convenience when processing new starters. I always explain how we process and hold data.

I honestly have never looked twice at someone's account numbers or balances, it's of no interest to me.
    With house sharing and people living with their parents until they are in their 30's it's quite common to not have utility bills.

Refusing to show them is not going to look favourably on you at interview.
  • marliepanda
    Options

I have started back at a company I worked for a few years ago, for quite a number of years. Things have changed.

You've been abroad for 8 years, yes things have changed in 8 years, not due to GDPR...
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

This is exactly why she went on my Ignore list some months ago. Nothing I've seen with her recent spate of posting has made me reconsider my decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure