Dla to pip

Comments

• If i did cook i would need to use a stool but theres alot more in cooking then just peeling a potato. Unless you lime eating raw potatoes.

Kim
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    If i did cook i would need to use a stool but theres alot more in cooking then just peeling a potato. Unless you lime eating raw potatoes.

Kim

I think they use peeling a potato for two reasons. Firstly, for a lot of people it's the hardest part. It needs manual dexterity, you have to be safe with a sharp implement, pressure on hand and wrist joints. Secondly, because of all those reasons, it means they can extrapolate it to other tasks and descriptors. If you can peel a potato you can probably use a pen, you probably have awareness of common hazards, can probably turn taps and fasten buttons...

That's just my opinion, not something official I've read.

If you tell us what problems you do have with cooking we'll be able to suggest whether or not it might apply for PIP.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • I cant walk or stand without crutches and i am in pain when doing it.

I havent attempt to cook for years husband does every thing. I can help with cutting vegetables and salads but thats done in another room not the kitchen.
    I have never said there is any thing wrong with my hand even though i get wrist pain from using the crutches.

Kim
  • Ames
    I cant walk or stand without crutches and i am in pain when doing it.

I havent attempt to cook for years husband does every thing. I can help with cutting vegetables and salads but thats done in another room not the kitchen.
    I have never said there is any thing wrong with my hand even though i get wrist pain from using the crutches.

Kim

I'm afraid that for PIP you're going to have to be a lot more detailed and specific. We've covered needing a perching stool (or sitting in another room). Think about everything involved in making a 'proper' meal and the problems you'd have at each step. That's what you need to make clear to the DWP/Tribunal.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    choosing not to cook isn't in anyway the same as not being able to cook. You'll have to wait and see what you were awarded, but it sounds as though maximum of 2 points, for needing to sit down whilst preparing a meal
  • To make a meal you have to move around a lot in the kitchen from sink to fridge to cooker etc. Then theres bending for cooker which i cant. I cant walk without crutches or support and it would take ages for me and leave me tired.

I have just rung them to ask for the report so will see what that says.

But dont expect any points on that.
    Plus i didnt really aim for points which i knew now i was supposed to and i only really wanted to keep the car as thats needed more than anything unless my husband leaves me.

Kim
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was refused points on cooking because I can put a Tupperware dish in the microwave even though taking it out and burning myself is a huge risk.
  • I thinks thats what they do. I have help with dressing and washing by my husband and they where trying to say i could buy a long handle brush and the shops sell aids to help with dressing. But if i use them i probably wouldnt get points for them.

Kim
  • Ames
    I thinks thats what they do. I have help with dressing and washing by my husband and they where trying to say i could buy a long handle brush and the shops sell aids to help with dressing. But if i use them i probably wouldnt get points for them.

Kim

You would get points for using aids, but not as many as for needing help from another person.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Kim,

I wonder if it's worth editing your opening post to explain your present situation?
    Because of the length of this thread (and time since your op), it's not easily identifiable where you now are in the process of moving from DLA to PIP.

Are you still awaiting the decision from your PIP assessment?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure