Suitable memory card for smartphone (Huawei Mate 20 Lite)?

Story short, wife bought one of these phones. As it can take a card up to 256GB that's what she's looking at doing.

Question i'm wondering is if there is a certain spec for these smartphones when it comes to memory cards (and i'm not just talking type of card - microSD etc for example).

The reason i ask is when i had a dash cam installed i found that memory cards, aside from not exceeding the capacity, needed to be "class 10" for example.

So based on this, are the cards for smartphones best being to a certain spec or so long as it's the right type of card and doesn't exceed the storage limitation then any card will do?

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Get the fastest spec card you can reasonably afford. So class 10 or better. Reason is that she'll likely use the SD card for photo/video storage, so a card with a fast Write speed will minimise any performance lag (over using the phone's built-in storage).
  • Yup, just to post back that Huawei got back in touch today and recommended class 10 cards.

So with the price of 256GB class 10 cards she'll probably be looking at 128GB instead.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The main thing is the read/write speeds of the card. Cards are assigned a "write class" which indicates the speed.

The old system went up to "Class 10", which indicates a minimum write speed of 10MB/s.

In the new UHS class system, "UHS Class 1" is equivalent to old Class 10 (i.e. 10MB/s).

The speed class will be printed on the card itself -- either a number inside a big "C" for the old system, or inside a big "U" for the UHS system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_class_rating
  • esuhl wrote: »
    The main thing is the read/write speeds of the card. Cards are assigned a "write class" which indicates the speed.

The old system went up to "Class 10", which indicates a minimum write speed of 10MB/s.

In the new UHS class system, "UHS Class 1" is equivalent to old Class 10 (i.e. 10MB/s).

The speed class will be printed on the card itself -- either a number inside a big "C" for the old system, or inside a big "U" for the UHS system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_class_rating
    Superb. That's really helpful. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family