Barking dogs kept in cages

Options
Help1234
Help1234 Posts: 464 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hello,

Been living in my home 1 year and since moving in have always been annoyed by barking dogs 24/7. The dogs bark morning, noon and throughout the night.

II believed to be coming from the house across the field from us. Finally decided to go and see what’s happening with the dogs and discovered it wasn’t coming from that house but from the house across the field opposite that house! So basically the house two fields away from me. Yet it’s so loud for me. I went to see which house it was coming from and discovered three dogs being kept in three separate metal cages.

I’ve reporter to RSPCA welfare. Is there anything else I need to do? What will they do if the dogs are being fed and watered will they still consider this a welfare issue? Should I report to the council? However, my concern in doing this is then needing to declare it when selling the house.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I just check you trespassed onto a property?

Obviously your description isn't very clear. These dogs could be used for dog fighting, or they could be caged up to prevent harm whilst the owner is out. It's impossible to say.

If it really is 24/7, I don't think you'll need to declare it, the viewers will hear themselves
  • Help1234
    edited 15 January 2019 at 12:42PM
    Options
    No absolutely did not trespass onto a property. I saw them from the street they are being kept on land to the side of the house. The owner was actually pottering about at the time in the front garden, kind of looked like renovations might be going on. I didn’t speak to them just carried on walking. No idea whether they are being used for fighter dogs or what the purpose of the cages are.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Help1234 wrote: »
    No absolutely did not trespass onto a property. I saw them from the street they are being kept on land to the side of the house. The owner was actually pottering about at the time in the front garden, kind of looked like renovations might be going on. I didn’t speak to them just carried on walking. No idea whether they are being used for fighter dogs or what the purpose of the cages are.

Just so we're clear on this, there's nothing inherently wrong with dogs being caged up.

But in anycase let the RSPCA do their job
  • Help1234
    edited 15 January 2019 at 12:53PM
    Options
    How am I not letting them? I’m the one who notified them! You sound defensive, do you cage your dogs?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    How am I not letting them? I’m the one who notified them! You sound defensive, do you cage your dogs?

He always sounds like that, its not personal!

The legal requirements for keeping animals are woefully basic, the RSPCA probably won't be able to do much on welfare grounds. No harm in letting them know though just in case.

If its a noise nuisance the council are the people to go to for that.
  • Help1234
    Options
    Thank you Red-Squirrel. If I went to the council will I have to declare this when selling my house?
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you'll have to take advice from your solicitor on declaring the barking. If it is that bad you may have to declare it anyway - the law is really grey on this but its obviously impacting your life, its a fair assumption it will impact any new owners life, so to reduce any risk you should declare.

It is really subjective though.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Dogs ARE allowed to be kept in cages (How do you think rescue centres keep them......)

The issue would be if the cage was an unsuitable size for the dog / length of time the dog is in the cage.

Re: Barking..... you mention they are barking "on and off" - could it be that they are barking when someone walks past?

You haven't even spoken to the owner - maybe they aren't aware that you have this issue (They might not always be around)

I'd personally, go and speak to the owners first
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Thank you Red-Squirrel. If I went to the council will I have to declare this when selling my house?

Yes, you would.

Technically you should declare it anyway as you aware of it, but a lot of people aren't that honest.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What do you mean by a cage? It is a crate with mesh on 6 sides in which the dog can lie down or stand but not move about?

Or are they in kennels with bars on the front, solid walls and floor and a roof so protection from the weather, with space to walk around in it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure