HELP!!! NO wedding contract

Hi Everyone

I'm just after some advice, we initially booked a wedding venue for February 2019 but do to unforeseen circumstances we've had to cancel the venue, I paid £3,000 deposit in June 2018 to secure the date but We never signed a contract or giving a contract in our hands.

In October 2018 we notified them we were no longer doing a wedding in February 2019 and required a full deposit. They replied " they will not give a full refund and they have lost out, as the total wedding venue was £11,500". We evening suggested at least half the deposit and they refused it.

It would be great if anyone out there can gives us some advice. Getting back the £3,000 deposit will help us a lot.

Thank you in advance,

Comments

• Do you have insurance & if so, was the unforeseen circumstances covered?
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you know if they rebooked another wedding for your date?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Did you ever see a copy of the contract? Its highly unusual they dont have any at all if theyre a formal event venue, even if you didnt specifically sign it sometimes there are ways they get around it.

Generally speaking though, that is very short notice for a venue, and i know in my venues contract it says that if its 4 months before the event we have to pay the full venue cost plus 75% of the expected catering costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure