Stairlift - means testing and costs

HI all,
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I'm just wondering about the maximum costs of having a stairlift installed via my local council/social services. I need a stairlift reasonably urgently, and am weighing up the costs as well as the time factor (I hear it can be months before you get a stairlift via social services). I'm pretty sure that at the means-testing stage we'll be told that we have to pay the maximum towards the chair. Does anyone have an idea what that cost would be roughly speaking? If it's too high I'll buy one via a company instead.

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,173 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    It's 10 years since I was in this position, so much will have changed, but I was told it would be a minimum of 13 months before we would even be considered for a stairlift from social services, so I bought one with a very generous contribution from family. The prices quoted varied by nearly £7000! So if you decide to go ahead please get at least three quotes. Mine was complicated because of the turns on the staircase so was bespoke, and cost about £5000. Straight, uncomplicated staircases will be a lot cheaper.
    It was money well spent btw as it allowed my husband to conserve his energy for a long time.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • skayes
    skayes Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Misslayed, thanks! Wow, 13 months is way too long. Even now I was told it may take 'a while'.

I'll definitely get a few quotes, and will go for a refurb.

I'm still curious about the means-testing though.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,173 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Just remembered a young relative bought one really cheaply on eBay for his grandmother and fitted it himself, straight stairs, no bends. Worth a look if you or someone you know is 'handy'
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • skayes
    Thanks very much! :)
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    When getting quotes seek out local independents - they carry less overheads than the big boys and you may well speak to the person who does the installation.

Look into VAT - should be zero %
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • skayes
    Thanks, Robin!
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The 'rules' wrt Grants and eligibility/contributions don't seem to be readily found on the internet... and could well differ slightly from Council to Council. You'd have to ask them?

Are stairs straight or curved? It will make a big difference to the price and the ability to buy second hand and adapt... not all stairs are the same length from floor to floor.

Go for a local company if buying new. Many will also sell the occasional refurb.

We got one fitted when we moved here (Beds) from a local supplier who fits and maintains for the local Councils.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Just remembered a young relative bought one really cheaply on eBay for his grandmother and fitted it himself, straight stairs, no bends. Worth a look if you or someone you know is 'handy'

If you do this, make sure the lift was designed to go on the same side of the stairs as you will use it - it can be dangerous otherwise.
  • I don't know where you are, but if you're in the North West, a few of my neighbours have used Liftcare, which is in St. Helens. I think that they buy back if no longer needed too.
  • skayes
    edited 6 January 2019 at 9:14PM
    Thanks, everyone, for the great advice, which is very helpful.

I live in the Midlands, but will bear in mind that I'm better off with a local company and also to remember the side of the stairs (left, in my case). I think it'll be best for me to go with a company since the council will take too long - since this morning I've read it has been known to take years if you can't get a council stairlift straight away and are put on a waiting list. If that's true, I'm better off buying my own. Thankfully it's a straight staircase and no obstrutions so it won't cost as much as it would otherwise.

Thanks again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport