Do you run Linux - if not why?

Just want to check what people think about Linux.
Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.

Why are you not running Linux? 119 votes

My computer came with Windows/MacOS installed
19% 23 votes
I think it is complex (never tried though)
2% 3 votes
I don't have time to experiment with it
5% 6 votes
I already run Linux (in at least one of my computers)
39% 47 votes
I tried Linux but didn't like it
18% 22 votes
Any other (please specify)
15% 18 votes

Comments

• I have linux boxen (Debian, naturally), but I also run FreeBSD and Windows.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The poll is flawed, since I would like to set options 1, 2 and 4...
  • It is for advanced users only, why do people keep wanting to push this. It is not a viable alternative despite it being hyped as such for nearly two decades.

Open office is not office, having vms running is not the same as "I can still run my normal apps". 5 hours in the command line to setup normal a thing like 3 screens is not an easy to use OS.

Linux is great as a desktop for some people doing certain things who have experience in it, or as a super locked down terminal for specific functions.

Sudo stop pushing it as a normal desktop.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I am using Linux Mint as full replacement of Windows for last 3 years.

Setting up was a breeze. Not different from installing Windows from scratch (if you have ever done this).

Libre Office is 90% good enough compared with Microsoft Office. Writer, Calc and Impress are as good as Word, Excel and Power Point.

The database, Base, on other hand, is way behind than Microsoft Access. But most Windows users don't use Access anyway.

My belief is that people don't use Linux only because consumer PCs come with Windows bundled and people don't bother installing Linux on top.

Not everyone needs to work with terminals in Linux or use WINE etc which are complex apps.

But for normal web surfing, word processing and spreadsheet works, Linux + Libre Office are perfect replacement for Windows/Mac.

Oh yes, my peripherals are recognized by Linux. It is no longer 1990s where printer would not be recognized by Linux. :rotfl:
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dont need it dont want it have used it .
    Free windows 10 does all i want .
    Though i am sure that the 4% of market share users like it as they never shut up about it .
  • I used to run Linux but have now over time moved over to apple.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I've used puppy Linux in the past to breathe new life into an old pc

Downside was if it didn't detect your devices it was a pain to install manually.

Very rarely use any pc now as it goes
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    movilogo wrote: »
    My belief is that people don't use Linux only because consumer PCs come with Windows bundled and people don't need to bother installing Linux on top.

fixed your typos
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    I despair of the linux "community"
    We have umpteen distributions
    We now have several desktops available within the distribution.
    They had the opportunity to get into the desktop when MS brought out Win 8 but were too busy pushing their own versions.

The only use for it I've found is reading some disks windows would not.

As soon as you need to share documents or have complex spreadsheets MS office is the only choice.
    Main problem for me is non mainstream programs only written for windows plus some peripherals such as slide and fast document scanners with no linux drivers. One is supposed to "sort of work" through Sane.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I've used puppy Linux in the past to breathe new life into an old pc

Downside was if it didn't detect your devices it was a pain to install manually.

I fully concur with this, and for reading failing disks that win couldn't, etc...still got Puppy on one of my bootable USB "Toolkits" :)

For everyday stuff, though, nowhere near as user-friendly as Windoze, unfortunately....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure