Viagogo refusing to refund technical error

My sister bought some tickets on Viagogo. She made her purchase but it said that the transaction was unsuccessful. She checked her bank - she had sufficient funds and nothing had been taken out by viagogo - no email either. So she went back on and ordered again - this time when she hit 'Pay' she was told the tickets were sold out. She went and tried to order cheaper tickets and was told it was sold out again. She then went elsewhere and ordered.

Later she got 2 payment success emails from Viagogo. Viagogo then proceeded to take the amount for 2 orders (£550) out her bank. They are refusing to refund any of this saying tickets are nonrefundable.

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you sell the tickets you don't want on again? Perhaps to another unofficial reseller or to friends and family?

Failing that arrive early to the venue and see if there are any unofficial resellers standing outside buying and selling tickets.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    waamo wrote: »
    Failing that arrive early to the venue and see if there are any unofficial resellers standing outside buying and selling tickets.

Don't do this.

They'll pay you pennies if you're lucky.

You might have luck selling them on the events facebook page or similar, but most gig-goers I know refuse to pay the ridiculous inflated prices you see on Viagogo etc.
  • waamo
    K80_Black wrote: »
    Don't do this.

They'll pay you pennies if you're lucky.

You might have luck selling them on the events facebook page or similar, but most gig-goers I know refuse to pay the ridiculous inflated prices you see on Viagogo etc.

I should be clear and say the selling to resellers at the venue is an absolute last ditch option. Sometimes the venue itself will buy back spare tickets too.

Sadly if you are left holding them till a few minutes before the performance you tend to be in damage limitation territory.
  • kencoo
    kencoo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Considering the charges were due to a technical error I don't really see the need for this. Are companies not bound by some law? It seems half the posts on this forum are about Viagogo - why are they still being allowed to operate?

The checkout went to a 'Your order was unsuccessful - please try again' - What's to stop them redirecting all orders here and taking multiple payments from everyone?
  • waamo
    kencoo wrote: »
    Considering the charges were due to a technical error I don't really see the need for this. Are companies not bound by some law? It seems half the posts on this forum are about Viagogo - why are they still being allowed to operate?

The checkout went to a 'Your order was unsuccessful - please try again' - What's to stop them redirecting all orders here and taking multiple payments from everyone?

Did you take a screenshot? You could try a chargeback from your bank or begging Viagogo but frankly they are a law unto themselves.

As I've said before they are slick touts. No different to the unofficial resellers that get moved on by the police outside venues. Would they give you a cheery smile and your money back?
  • JP._2
    JP._2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    A chargeback through your bank is the way to go.
  • waamo
    JP. wrote: »
    A chargeback through your bank is the way to go.

Agreed but unlikely to work. Many have tried, few have succeeded.
  • kencoo
    Well - of course not. The message displayed was that the transaction was unsuccessful which is why she tried to purchase it multiple times. If she aware the message was incorrect and took a screenshot she wouldn't have made the additional transactions.

Thanks - I've told her to go into branch and demand chargeback. I've put her onto Monzo (which gives you a nice wee in-app confirmaiton check before letting any money comeout)
  • waamo
    kencoo wrote: »
    Well - of course not. The message displayed was that the transaction was unsuccessful which is why she tried to purchase it multiple times. If she aware the message was incorrect and took a screenshot she wouldn't have made the additional transactions.

Thanks - I've told her to go into branch and demand chargeback. I've put her onto Monzo (which gives you a nice wee in-app confirmaiton check before letting any money comeout)

Good luck. It's worth a try. Please don't use touts again though.
  • kencoo
    yayy

imgur dot com/a/I1kR0Xe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business