50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Hello,

This thread is inspired by reading others journeys, and at the suggestion of ShyandRetiring. I have been a lurker and commentator on a number of the excellent threads on this Forum. I like the Pensions Board, this board and the Pet Board in particular. I have been given some excellent advice and had answers to many specific questions on them.

Background:-

I'm a 54 year old soon to be 55. Where did the years go? I'm an NHS worker and can take my pension unreduced at 55 due to having "special officer class" because of my particular area of work. I currently have "all my years in to get a full pension" each years contribution counts as 2 years from 20 years service, in March I had a total of 40 years or 40/80ths pensionable pay.

I am- because of the way the scheme is calculated allowed to accrue a further 5 years or up to 45/80ths from the age of 55-58. I also am allowed if I work shifts to have any shift allowance calculated as part of my final pension.

So far so good, Mrs CRV and I married later in life than was originally planned, we lived together many years ago but parted without rancour in 1992 because in part of my career ambition and her reluctance to leave the area she lived in. We both went on to marry others, finally get back in touch through Friends Reunited. Two divorces later (we ended up divorcing our respective spouses) we finally married each other. I have two sons from my first marriage who live in the South East, Mrs CRV never had children but she (now we) has two nieces whom she/we adore. We both work in healthcare same qualification, me NHS, Mrs CRV always private sector since qualifying.

I had a brief career break when I moved in with Mrs CRV, so did have an NHS Pension break but re-joined in time to preserve my special class status. Last year I had a heart attack- fully recovered now thanks to excellent emergency care and treatment, but had an enforced 7 month break from my stressful current role. This led to my MSE addiction and our planning carefully our retirement. I say it as the "Royal We" as the whole topic is cold for Mrs CRV!

Part of my personal journey was re-evaluating my current role and seeking to reduce my stress levels. My cardiologist suggested that I should seek to return to shifts as a means of getting additional days off from work. This in addition to feeling side lined at work even being labelled as too old for the job and rather unkindly a dinosaur by a colleague said in jest I'm sure but left me feeling undervalued and not part of the Team.

So luckily for me the Trust I work for realised that they had got rid of all the experienced staff and the in-patient services it runs needs experienced staff to provide leadership, coaching and in some cases straightforward "you do it like this" support for younger qualified and inexperienced staff. I applied for one of the posts and got it, starting in September! Luckily for me and my pension it is all "out of hours" and unsocial hours work, so I'm swapping my M-F, 9-5 role for a post that is almost all night and weekend work. It is worth around 12k extra on my salary and of course around 6k pa on my pension when I get it. I'm going from 20 days every 4 weeks to 13 shifts every 4 weeks, so will be able to also work a few extra shifts boosting the coffers more, as currently I work 2-3 "extras" at weekends while doing my M-F role, so having only 4-5 days off every 4 week period.

Mrs CRV isn't so well off with her pension planning, she has some SERPs pension pot, with nothing between that and her now auto-enrolment pot. So this is where we'll have to concentrate I think.

We have some debts, a 90k mortgage at a fixed rate and I was forced to borrow 12k for a new car 2 months ago as mine was written off and I need a decent economical car for work and the commute.

The purpose of this diary?

To document my journey to retirement which I hope will be 18 months- 3 years time, 5 at an absolute push, I don't want to be the richest in the graveyard but want a decent comfortable retirement.

I also hope others will see an ordinary man can have aspirations, share what goes well and help others learn from what goes wrong!

To get some advice/ ideas that add to our plans. I already have picked up tips, one thing we do need to sort is wills, LPA and future proofing our home, in addition to Mrs CRVs pension planning. I'll hopefully get some ideas?

We live in a large bungalow with a very large garden, isolated on a hill in the middle of town, a cat with thyroid problems, a diabetic border collie !!!!! and an old Labrador dog who has had to have major surgery for mouth cancer, a collection of hens, a collection of tropical marine fish tanks (Mrs CRV hobby I am only allowed to look at the Seahorses!), we have a collection of outbuildings- shed, summerhouse, air raid shelter and garage full of my junk aka "valued items" that need de-cluttering as well as a loft heaving with an assortment of junk including 9 old fish tanks!

We worked our number out- current figures-

Me DB 16.5k pa 48k TFLS or 13k pa 85k TFLS
Old Equitable Life AVC 6k
Full SP is forecast if contribute another 4 years

Mrs CRV 24k SERPs pot (2004 valuation, updated one requested)
5k Auto Enrolled pot
Full SP if contribute another 4 years

We think save into PP or SIPP for Mrs CRV, draw down at 8k pa or up to PA. We think 24k pa would be manageable, any extra would be a bonus. We are in the position that if we live long enough as we age we'll actually get an increasing level of income!

Motivation for saving?

We've seen too many struggle to "get by" on SP alone! We want to be able to run our cars, keep our pets/ hobbies and have some decent holidays- we're having our gap year(s) at the end of our careers. So a tour of China maybe to see the Great Wall etc, tour of SE Asia see the Temples, Tour of India, and I'd love to see Botswana, Bermuda and go to Moscow! All depends on a) finance and b) health.

Thank you for reading my ramblings!

Never look down on someone unless you're helping them up!
CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!

Comments

• crv1963, I think your thread will receive 'a large' number of views lol. On the main board it presents as '50 something man seeking' and of course we are all drawn in :). Joking apart, I do wish you luck with your plans and am glad that you have recovered from your heart attack.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lol Man of Leisure I didn't realise that!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good luck CRV , all l can say is my DH & l took the plunge and retired and have never ever looked back. I totally dropped the colleagues l had in work because l didn't want to be thought of as a SADDO hanging onto my workmates every word lol. I did the right thing .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    crv1963, I think your thread will receive 'a large' number of views lol. On the main board it presents as '50 something man seeking' and of course we are all drawn in :). Joking apart, I do wish you luck with your plans and am glad that you have recovered from your heart attack.

I tell you I was answering in a flash ......then realised it was crv (who obviously is a catch) and knew he was already taken. Back to the drawing board!;)

Having followed you round for a while in a non stalkerish fashion (I inhabit pension, pet and employment boards), I knew quite a bit of your history, but not a nice tidy timescale. So after reading all of that, I will say......

You have seahorses:j, how exciting. I was reading only yesterday that some are living in the Thames now it's a bit cleaner.

Are you planning on clearing your mortgage early or concentrating on building up the pensions?
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ooh another nice thread to follow......

CRV I shall be "stalking" you too - but in The nicest possible way. ;)
  • crv1963
    Hi SukySue

I must admit I have had a similar approach to changing roles in the past as you cutting ties with former colleagues. I have moved North to South and now back again, I keep loosely in touch with only a few former colleagues and will probably have a severe haircut of FB "friends" when I do finally retire.

I find as I gain in years I lose tolerance for gossip and GC pictures! I make a point of never gossiping at work, I don't see the point and since I re-evaluated my life goals have become quite self contained, anyone who adds to my stress I drop some quickly, some at a slower pace depending on the proximity/ relationship.

As long as Mrs CRV and I are okay I'm happy. We've been brutally honest with our collection of children- we've worked for what we have and aim to enjoy it. Anything (if) that's left over is split between you but don't count on it because no one knows when the end of the game is.

But as tomorrow isn't promised we do need to plan so we don't end up paupers so it is likely there will be something for them!
  • crv1963
    bugslet wrote: »

You have seahorses:j, how exciting. I was reading only yesterday that some are living in the Thames now it's a bit cleaner.

Are you planning on clearing your mortgage early or concentrating on building up the pensions?

I am only allowed to enjoy the seahorses, they're Mrs CRV hobby- although I can feed them if she goes away, they are hard work but lovely.

Not planning on clearing the whole mortgage, at 54 and 51 it is better planning in my view to cycle money through a pension first to gain tax relief, then overpay a bit of it and use some lump sum money to reduce or clear it at the point of retirement.

It's one of the numerous variables to wonder about! I also procrastinate and over think things at times!
  • :wave:

Hi CRV1963

Lovely to see your thread up and running!

Great outline and useful looking timeline. It's great that you have a clear plan and I'll certainly be following along ... if you end up doing the whole 5 year push, we might even end up getting to the big R around the same time!

Oh, and I hear you on the numerous variables ... I've no doubt our threads will directly reflect the most popular variable in thinking and finances at any given time, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!
    ~ * ~ "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint Expuery ~ * ~
  • bugslet wrote: »
    I tell you I was answering in a flash ......;)

Wrong Board :D, but not sure I would recommend the marriage and relationship forum :D
  • [QUOTE=crv1963;74620810

Luckily for me and my pension it is all "out of hours" and unsocial hours work, so I'm swapping my M-F, 9-5 role for a post that is almost all night and weekend work. It is worth around 12k extra on my salary and of course around 6k pa on my pension when I get it. I'm going from 20 days every 4 weeks to 13 shifts every 4 weeks, so will be able to also work a few extra shifts boosting the coffers more, as currently I work 2-3 "extras" at weekends while doing my M-F role, so having only 4-5 days off every 4 week period[/QUOTE]

Although in the financial sense this makes a lot of sense, how are you actually coping with your new working pattern? Or more importantly, how do you feel you would cope if you aren't able to retire in about 18 months. One of my sons is a doctor and I well remember the time when he was a junior and struggled with those night shifts - which take a terrible toll on the body.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback