Talk Talk Boost Price Increase.

Hi,
Today I got an email from Talk Talk saying my unlimited calls boost will be increasing by £1.50 pm. I spoke to them and asked if this means I can leave without penalty. They said no as that only applies to increases in the cost of the plan, whereas this is an add-on. I took out the contract in January based on the overall cost incl the talk plan. This was a crucial part of the deal as far as I was concerned.
Are they right? Seems very unfair.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When does your minimum term end? TT offer a fixed price contract (i.e no increase in price during your minimum term). If you are now approaching that point, you can leave on 30 days notice anyway, so just negotiate a new min term based on a lower rate.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • munky99
    munky99 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks Macman, contract doesn't end until January.
  • Xamin
    Xamin Posts: 2 Newbie
    I took up a special offer that MSE made with Talk Talk that promised a package of line rental, superfast fibre broadband at 76mb and free unlimited phone calls, landline and mobile for £27.50 pm. The price was guaranteed for 18 months, the term of the contract. I received a letter dated 13th June stating that the cost of the free unlimited calls boost was increasing by £1.50 a month.
    I had taken the precaution of saving a screen shot of the MSE deal, so phoned Talk Talk this morning to assert that as the price of the deal for broadband, phone calls and line rental at £27.50 per month was guaranteed, no increase should be added.

After much discussion at their end of the line and my insistence that if the price increased they had broken the contract, they relented and said that the price would remain the same for the 18 months. They have marked my account to that effect, so I await the next bill with interest.
  • Kallb123
    Kallb123 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm surprised I've not read about this on MSE. We also got this email. Seems bizarre that they can offer a "fixed price" and then conveniently say "oh actually that doesn't apply to the boost so that price is going up".
  • Hi;

Like many of the readers above I was unpleasantly surprised by the increase to the Unlimited UK Calls Boost in July 2018.

It's Now January 2019.

Imagine my surprise, then, to see Unlimited UK Calls Boost at
    £7-50 p/m when I administered my Mother's account coming up to her renewal date end of Jan 2019. It appears in her offers and upgrades page, via 'My Account'.

It did NOT appear in my own different talktalk account, via the 'your offers and upgrades' link therein a couple of days ago, but does today.

it's on a web page - search on google for talktalk offersandupgrades2 (I can't post URLs on MSE apparrently)

. . . but ONLY appears once you are logged into 'My Account'.

Worth noting and haggling if the offer does not appear for you !
    The Highwayman
  • Hi;

Like many of the readers above I was unpleasantly surprised by the increase to the Unlimited UK Calls Boost in July 2018.

It's Now January 2019.

Imagine my surprise, then, to see Unlimited UK Calls Boost at
    £7-50 p/m when I administered my Mother's account coming up to her renewal date end of Jan 2019. It appears in her offers and upgrades page, via 'My Account'.

It did NOT appear in my own different talktalk account, via the 'your offers and upgrades' link therein a couple of days ago, but does today.

it's on a web page - search on google for talktalk offersandupgrades2 (I can't post URLs on MSE apparrently)

. . . but ONLY appears once you are logged into 'My Account'.

Worth noting and haggling if the offer does not appear for you !

I found this work around similar:

I renewed broadband contract online about 3 weeks before contract ended and the renewal confirmation screen said any boost discounts and promotions would be carried over. They only lasted until the original contract end date, then reverted to full price. £10 for UK calls, £6 for International, instead of £7.50 and £4.75. I spoke to TalkTalk on the phone and got nowhere, which is a first. Then found the Offers and Rewards screen had the UK Call package listed at £7.50. Pressed the button to add it (even though the boost was active) and it just took me to the summary screen showing the boost active and at £10 still. So I deleted the boost, waited a couple of hours for it to register, then it came back as available for £7.50. Did the same with the International boost even though this was not shown on the Offers page, sure enough, re-added at £4.75. Be aware, re-adding the boost may take until midnight that day to resume, and not sure if the removed version of the boost lasts till then, so best to do it in the evening after you have made calls for the day. Now we have TalkTalk asking for £4 for TV features I've already paid for, so going to cancel that. Too much messing around by TalkTalk this year, customers are sure to be leaving.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi whiteysi,

I'm sorry you had trouble getting your boosts sorted over the phone, but I'm pleased to hear you were able to resolve it in My Account. With regards to the new charge, we’ve invested lots in our TV service over the last few years, with the introduction of Multi-room and even more great content. As a result, we’re having to introduce a small charge of £4 per month, which is the equivalent of 13 pence a day. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via Twitter (@TalkTalk), our Online Community or the chat link on our website.

Thanks,
    Becky - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • TalkTalk wrote: »
    As a result, we’re having to introduce a small charge of £4 per month, which is the equivalent of 13 pence a day.

Or to put it another way, which is the equivalent of £48 a year.
  • E30M3
    E30M3 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    TalkTalk wrote: »
    Hi whiteysi,

I'm sorry you had trouble getting your boosts sorted over the phone, but I'm pleased to hear you were able to resolve it in My Account. With regards to the new charge, we’ve invested lots in our TV service over the last few years, with the introduction of Multi-room and even more great content. As a result, we’re having to introduce a small charge of £4 per month, which is the equivalent of 13 pence a day. If you have any questions or concerns at all, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via Twitter (@TalkTalk), our Online Community or the chat link on our website.

Thanks,
    Becky - TalkTalk Social Team
    Why are you charging more for unlimited uk calls when that service is unaffected?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    E30M3 wrote: »
    Why are you charging more for unlimited uk calls when that service is unaffected?
    Because they can! And they have an expensive price promise to fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure