Broker recomendations

Hi all,
I am wondering if anybody could recommend a broker for a mortgage, I'm in Swansea and need somebody experienced with potential affordability problems.
TIA

Comments

• abbiesmom
    abbiesmom Posts: 102 Forumite
    Hi sorry to post again but as nobody was able to offer recommendations is there a way to search which members are brokers as I understand that the MSE rules mean that they are not able to initiate contact with me. I'm on here daily, I just rarely log in!
    I'd ideally like to speak with somebody who would be willing to look at my figures and advise if it's all just a pipedream at the moment or if an application could be possible with my current debts which are all up-to-date and paid on time. There's nothing really adverse just the question of affordability and how I may be viewed

Thank you
  • We used L&C for ours. Really good and helped us even though our credit scores weren’t fantastic. We were really tight on affordability but L&C managed to get us across the line.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    There is no list of brokers on here as far as I am aware.

You can post the details on here and we can give you an idea if you are in the right ball park.

Generally we need to know:
    Annual income (best to split that up to basic wage, bonus/overtime etc, benefits).
    Monthly payments on loans with more than 6 months left to run.
    Balance on credit cards/store cards combined.
    Number of Kids.
    Age(s).
    How much you would like to purchase for.
    How much your deposit is.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thank you, I tried L&C before asking for advice here as they seemed confident based on the info I gave them that I could get a mortgage of up to £103k but having used other online calculators some said as low as only £20k which is why I'm concerned.

Basically I would like to buy my current rented property using RTB discount as my deposit, max £8k in Wales, I have £3k funds available to either assist or pay down my debts. I don't know what my house is worth and the landlord requires a payment from me to let me know what their selling price will be. Houses in my area sell for £70-120k. Basically I have a few days left to decide as the deadline for RTB is 25th Jan but have to weigh up if the landlords fee is dead money if I've no chance of securing a mortgage.

In a nutshell my income is as follows;
    Salary £23500
    Tax Credits £16120
    Child Benefit £2304

Credit card and loan debt is £17k with monthly payments of £615
    Childcare is £914 (will reduce to £450 in Sept)
    Council Tax £77
    I pay 5% of my salary into company pension and have old type student loan deducted
    Gas £42
    Electric £60
    TV licence £12.12
    Groceries £250-300

Because I don't know the house value it's hard to decide what's best to do with the 3k I could pay off my loan in full which reduces monthly outgoings by £200 but because of the speed I need to make a decision I'm not sure how quickly I could pay down the others.
    I've never missed a single payment on any of my commitments but have high utilisation on the CCs

Would really appreciate some input if anybody would lend based on my circumstances as if there's no chance then the money is best placed on my debts than wasted paying the landlord for a valuation (incidentally you get this back on completion) My thoughts are that by the time the landlord values etc and I need to apply I can further reduce my debts by taking the maximum time allowed to advise of my decision to buy or not thus reducing my outgoings even further.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    most mortgage brokers are made up of 1-4 advisers and relatively small businesses. Asking on here is a bit like asking the internet strangers what your local butcher is like.

Do a local search.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    edited 19 January 2019 at 12:38AM
    I started with google and searched my local area for brokers, then searched for reviews/feedback on each company. I also walked in to a few offices while I was out in town without an appointment, just to have an informal chat, this is how I found my current broker.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    There are too many variables to say whether or not this is likely.
    At £70k with an £8k discount, it is probably doable.
    At £120k with an £8k discount, it is probably not.

I would probably hold fire until closer to September when your childcare will halve, you can hopefully also get your debt down a little without spending more and just making your normal payments (Hold the £3k back to give you some flexibility).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG wrote: »
    There are too many variables to say whether or not this is likely.
    At £70k with an £8k discount, it is probably doable.
    At £120k with an £8k discount, it is probably not.

I would probably hold fire until closer to September when your childcare will halve, you can hopefully also get your debt down a little without spending more and just making your normal payments (Hold the £3k back to give you some flexibility).

Thank you so much for your reply and it is as I suspected and could be tight, I think due to the deadlines I face with regards to RTB in Wales my only choice now is to pay the landlord to get the valuation and at least then I will have more accurate info to give to a broker.

I really don't want to move due to being within walking distance of the children's schools, but don't want to rent forever either.

If I'm correct the landlord has 8 weeks to let me know their offer and I have 12 weeks after that to decide and let them know my intentions and it's only at this point you start sorting surveys etc so it could drag out beyond September which would leave me in a better position all around.

Really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to offer some help. It's really appreciated as I've searched Google and other forums but it's a bit of a minefield and I don't know anybody in similar circumstances as me to ask for advice nor do I want to divulge financial information to friends do it's hard to get a real idea of where to turn.

Thank you so much
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport