eBay refund

Rekusu
Rekusu Posts: 61 Forumite
What ho one and all,

Following a recent fender bender where I now have a damaged rear drivers door, I am considering buying a used one, get it resprayed and fit it. If I go via the insurance company, they will write off my 15 y/o Mondeo. However, they are aware of the issue and have said that I can go ahead with a replacement door, just keep all the paperwork.

There are some doors available on eBay, and although I have asked the 'is there rust along the bottom seam' question, the answer is always, 'no rust.'

If I decide to purchase a door, inc delivery, pay with PayPal, and when the door is delivered, I find that it is damaged (probably due to delivery drivers not caring,) and that there is rust along the bottom seam, Can I refuse to accept it? Does the freight company therefore have to take it back?

I know there is a refund policy on eBay / PayPal, but I have never had to use it and can only see that it will be difficult to get a refund.

If I refuse, how easy is it to get a refund via PayPal? Surely a breakers yard will not be happy to take the door back and refund?

Thanks

Rex

Comments

• lg13mza
    lg13mza Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you specifically ask the question about rust and the seller says its ok and it proves not to be you can claim a refund. It will be up to the seller to arrange postage, but they will expect you to re-package and may want you to drop off at a local courier collection point. Its happened to me that the seller may not comply and ebay themselves will refund you and you get to keep the door as well.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If buying from ebay i would accept it and then open a dispute with the item not being as described.

Had an issue recently where the item was not delivered but the driver signed for it. So it appears on paper that i did receive it.

If you accept it and then allow the seller to arrange its return at their cost.

Very easy to get a refund, you open a not as described case and they have to pay for its return to them.

If they dont provide delivery back then you will win the case.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's a Ford, there are plenty of dedicated breakers around, you should have no trouble finding one locally.
    Then go direct and inspect the part before buying it.

If not, try either of the below
    http://fordpartsuk.co.uk/
    http://www.mainlinefords.co.uk/
    https://www.trents.co.uk
    I've used all three for body panels in the past and all have delivered good parts, properly protected.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    If you do go the eBay route ask I would the sellers to send you a photo of the area that concerns you before you buy - Be a lot simpler for both of you, rather than having to go through the returns process.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    I would do a search for the nearest first for people breaking - doors are very heavy and expensive to send and a higher likelihood of being damaged. I would prefer to view and collect for this sort of thing.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 January 2019 at 7:44PM
    While it might be easy enough to get a refund, as already said sending a door back is going to be a complete pain.
    Get one locally.
    As far as the "no rust" thing goes, I always remember ringing up to have a look at a car. Japanese one, can't remember the type now.
    "Is it rusty?" I asked.
    "No visible rust" came the answer.
    Turned up, and it was completely and obviously rotten across the bottom of all the doors!
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Best to look at the panel yourself....as you haven't even bought the door yet you are already asking about a refund.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    Yeah sending a complete door by courier is likely to be costly and its likely to need some repair. Good chance the door will be dropped onto a corner.

Would take afair bit of packaging to stand a chance of being delivered damage free. Certainly an item to collect if possible.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Rekusu
    Thanks for the replies.

I totally agree that it would be best to look at the door before buying, but for a 15 year old Mondeo, they are a bit scarce around Surrey!

I have visited a few breakers yards and those they have, although listed as 'in good / used condition' are generally rusting along the bottom seam. In that case, I would be just replacing a good condition but damaged door for a undamaged but rusty door.

Likewise, all the eBay sellers (usually breaker yards) also list the doors as good / used condition and do not show photos of the bottom seam. There may be no rust showing on the outside but very rusty on the inside!
  • Rekusu
    Thanks for all the comments. Problem solved! Visited a breakers yard today and they had a damaged car with the same colour paint so took the door off. I will clean it up and use the parts from my current door.

Again, thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport