Driving to Europe post-Brexit? You'll need a 'green card' if there's no deal - MSE News

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    I drove across the continent in 1966 with no problems at all. The green card and international driving licence were free and quickly obtained. Remainers just want to stir up problems where they don't exist.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Jetslick wrote: »
    Hooray for freeing ourselves from imaginary oppression. Can't wait to rejoice for that fantasy of national liberation with our competent government.

PROJECT FEAR! PROJECT FEAR!

Hey, look at that bus!

Isn't it a bit early to be in the pub?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Most UK drivers haven't had need to think about insurance for European travel for many years as the minimum coverage for all of the EU/EEA and a few other countries that have signed up to the Council of Bureaux rules - namely Andorra, Croatia, Serbia and Switzerland.

Croatia is an odd case for reasons too complicated to explain here.

So no need for a Green Card unless travelling to countries not covered above.

But the international agreement gives only the minimum cover - equivalent to our Third Party Only.

To have the same cover as in the UK if you have more than Third Party, you need to ensure that your particular insurance company either includes 'foreign -travel' at no extra cost or whether you need to opt for that extra facility and perhaps pay extra for it.

Green Cards and/or extending full cover are NOT free from every Insurance Company.

I travel regularly as far as Greece - transiting several countries some EU/EEA, some not so have need for a Green Card every time.

I'm just off the phone from talking to my Insurance company as I'm setting out for Bosnia and Serbia in a couple of weeks - i.e before Brexit.

They tell me that they have plans to issue Green Cards to anyone who requests them.

Already many people have booked skiing trips over the Easter school holiday break which starts on 8th April.

MSE are quite right to make folks aware of the possible need for a Green Card.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    Most UK drivers haven't had need to think about insurance for European travel for many years as the minimum coverage for all of the EU/EEA and a few other countries that have signed up to the Council of Bureaux rules - namely Andorra, Croatia, Serbia and Switzerland.

Croatia is an odd case for reasons too complicated to explain here.

So no need for a Green Card unless travelling to countries not covered above.

But the international agreement gives only the minimum cover - equivalent to our Third Party Only.

To have the same cover as in the UK if you have more than Third Party, you need to ensure that your particular insurance company either includes 'foreign -travel' at no extra cost or whether you need to opt for that extra facility and perhaps pay extra for it.

Green Cards and/or extending full cover are NOT free from every Insurance Company.

I travel regularly as far as Greece - transiting several countries some EU/EEA, some not so have need for a Green Card every time.

I'm just off the phone from talking to my Insurance company as I'm setting out for Bosnia and Serbia in a couple of weeks - i.e before Brexit.

They tell me that they have plans to issue Green Cards to anyone who requests them.

Already many people have booked skiing trips over the Easter school holiday break which starts on 8th April.

MSE are quite right to make folks aware of the possible need for a Green Card.

Really. My lady friend and I had a driving holiday to France last year and we needed (a) extension of comprehensive insurance as Direct Line only included basic legal cover as standard, (b) breakdown insurance as Green Flag only cover UK as standard, (c) medical insurance, (d) luggage and cash insurance as UK home policy only covers UK, and of course E111 cards to cover medical emergencies.

All at a cost of well over £120.

Then there were the sneaky charges on using bank cards and ATM's in France. And the Emissions sticker for driving in Paris. And the need to identify ourselves with a GB sticker. And the hi-vis jackets. And the breathalyzers we had to carry.

Yes, the EU really makes travelling abroad easy, simple and hassle free.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Really. My lady friend and I had a driving holiday to France last year and we needed (a) extension of comprehensive insurance as Direct Line only included basic legal cover as standard, (b) breakdown insurance as Green Flag only cover UK as standard, (c) medical insurance, (d) luggage and cash insurance as UK home policy only covers UK, and of course E111 cards to cover medical emergencies.

Then there were the sneaky charges on using bank cards and ATM's in France. And the Emissions sticker for driving in Paris. And the need to identify ourselves with a GB sticker. And the hi-vis jackets. And the breathalyzers we had to carry.

Wot no headlight adapter and I hope it wasn't in the winter as you haven't mentioned snow chains.

Given everything you have to sort out one more thing won't make much difference.
  • waamo wrote: »
    Wot no headlight adapter and I hope it wasn't in the winter as you haven't mentioned snow chains.

Given everything you have to sort out one more thing won't make much difference.

Early September, and my car has adjustable headlights. About the only thing that was simple! I remember when you had to paint your headlights yellow to go to France!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Iceweasel

I don't think any of that is because of the EU.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    I don't think any of that is because of the EU.

I agree. It's as though the EU don't exist. Being in the EU was supposed to make it so easy for us to travel around the EU. Not to mention all those other 'freedoms' we were supposed to have like being able to choose whether to receive TV from other EU countries (until they blocked you buying soccer from Greek stations, etc).

Remember when we could buy a one year passport from the Post Office for £1? The EU stopped that. We had Duty Free on the ferries. The EU stopped that. Brittany Ferries had 200 ciggies for £86, thanks to the EU. Fortunately, I gave up 35 years ago!

In the end, it's made no difference being in the EU. It's still like we were back in the 1980's. But we pay £38 Billion for the privilege.
  • jk0 wrote: »
    Makes a bit of a nonsense of it being a 'common travel area' doesn't it?

Kinda is a nonsense anyway. My friend who is here on a UK visa is not allowed to cross that border unless she gets an Irish visa.

Of course she can walk across without being challenged, but legally she can't.

(When she researched this, she found that there are sometimes checks on cross border coaches used by tourists.)
  • Iceweasel
    Kinda is a nonsense anyway. My friend who is here on a UK visa is not allowed to cross that border unless she gets an Irish visa.

Of course she can walk across without being challenged, but legally she can't.

(When she researched this, she found that there are sometimes checks on cross border coaches used by tourists.)

That's because the UK didn't sign the Schengen Agreement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure