Can anyone recommend a good cheap laptop

Comments

• fred246 wrote: »
    OMG that's a rubbish consumer grade plastic laptop. We have to have a battered old refurbished business laptop!

But it’s such a nice colour though! :)
  • I expect that the OP has probably lost the will to live after all the posturing
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 January 2019 at 2:13PM
    fred246 wrote: »
    OMG that's a rubbish consumer grade plastic laptop. We have to have a battered old refurbished business laptop!

For a man who advocates buying a good quality used car and running it and maintains it for 20 years - and thats very valid and works for you so great, it genuinely surprises me that
    (a) you buy a cheap consumer grade laptop then scrap it after a couple of years or so.
    (b) you cant see the merit in buying a good quality used laptop and then be able to use it for many years?

A good quality ex business laptop can often be pretty much as new. I've bought them before. Many businesses offload a laptop after 3 years for no reason other than their manufacturers warranty has expired. There is an opportunity there to buy a laptop at a fraction of its new price with many years left in its life just like you do with cars.

I dont see why you are happy to apply that to cars but not laptops or even be open to the suggestion that it might work for others?

And then on top of that, try to make a !!!!! out of people who suggest it?

Banal, frankly.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    ukbfg wrote: »
    I have 0 doubt that a chromebook would destroy your old windows laptop. I don't even know why you're bothering replying.

What would your recommendation for a decent windows machine be then? Offer something constructive instead of getting all defensive over an ancient laptop?

PS I see you choose not to respond to how much time or money you've spent on ad/spy/bloat/ransom ware. Or on waiting for Windows updates! lol.

You seem to be having a whole conversation all by yourself. I am on holiday. No time for arguing with children.
    Having forty tabs open is not unusual, whilst playing some music to entertain.
    Have spent nothing on anti-malware etc over the years.
    This is actually an old laptop that I utilise for travel. Certainly not the best of what I have. But still useful..

How much the second hand PixelBook(2015?) that you claim is better than any Windows laptop? £800?
    This is why they shouldn't allow children to post on a Technical board. They over-extend themselves.
    Is your 5 to 6 year old Chromebook capable of running Android applications? I think not. So just fit for the bin.
    Come back to talk to me about your devices when they are eleven years old.

If I ever need to run Android Applications, I can buy a cheap Android phone or Tablet.

No need to buy a crappy Chromebook.
  • I have an HP Pavillion with an i3 processor and a 1TB hard drive. I suspect I could make do with far less, I have used under 150GB, so it depends what you are after.

If you purely want to stream, then a streaming laptop can be a LOT cheaper, but if you want to store much on it then you need to go for one with storage. Want to store a lot of music/pictures, then go for one with a hard drive, happy to store them separately then an SSD will be fine.

I would have gone for an SSD but they weren't anywhere near as good 3 years ago as they are now.

I got my laptop refurbed off Ebay.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • EveryWhere
    I have an HP Pavillion with an i3 processor and a 1TB hard drive. I suspect I could make do with far less, I have used under 150GB, so it depends what you are after.

If you purely want to stream, then a streaming laptop can be a LOT cheaper, but if you want to store much on it then you need to go for one with storage. Want to store a lot of music/pictures, then go for one with a hard drive, happy to store them separately then an SSD will be fine.

I would have gone for an SSD but they weren't anywhere near as good 3 years ago as they are now.

I got my laptop refurbed off Ebay.

Why don't you fit an SSD to it?
    Your reasoning is a bit strange. I wouldn't buy a laptop with an HDD for any reason.
    What "streaming laptop" is a lot cheaper??
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    ukbfg wrote: »
    Embrace the change, because it's happening, whether you like it or not.
    I don't think it is happening:
    Operating System Share by Version
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Cheers pop. Thrilled to find the operating system you guys helped me to install a year or so back is top of the pops!
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    Why don't you fit an SSD to it?
    Your reasoning is a bit strange. I wouldn't buy a laptop with an HDD for any reason.
    What "streaming laptop" is a lot cheaper??

Because I don't believe in fixing that which is not broken.

I happen to like HDDs, next time round though i may go for an SSD.

HP Streams currently come in at around £140.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • EveryWhere
    Because I don't believe in fixing that which is not broken.

I happen to like HDDs, next time round though i may go for an SSD.

HP Streams currently come in at around £140.

That is quite crazy. All my laptops have SSD simply because they allow the devices to perform in the way for which they were designed. HDD simply holds back the performance your device.
    Just do the swap and you'll never look back other than to wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

HP Stream with a 32 GB eMMC?? What are you thinking? Never buy anything quite so inadequate. They will be rendered useless with later versions of Windows 10 that will allocate 7GB of space for future upgrades.

Would spend that money on something useful; https://www.blackmoreit.com/be-dell-latitude-e7240--i5-cpu--4gb-ram--128gb-ssd--12-touchscreen-laptop.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure