Hp tango instant ink

My husband recently bought me a new printer for my coursework and had been looking into instant ink. However, i don't want to leave my printer switched on and only want to turn it on as an as and when needed basis. I have read a few horror stories where hp will block your printer if it doesn't have a constant wifi connection, is this actually true?
Wins: Cushelle Koala, Mama tea bundle, coconut ice cream recipe book

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Leave it on. Every time you turn it off then back on it uses ink to check the print heads are OK, so you'll "burn" through your ink cartridges in no time.

How many (A4) pages do you print per month? If it's 15 or less then I believe there's a free instant ink plan.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    They go into a standby mode anyway , only waking up to print
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • I definitely print more than 15 pages

Where it is the power lead is too short, so i did plan to move it to print and put it back. Failing that my other option was to buy a longer figure of 8 lead so it can be left plugged in but wanted to double check with this ink thing first as don't want to spend unnessarily
    Wins: Cushelle Koala, Mama tea bundle, coconut ice cream recipe book
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Get a mains extension lead ... probably the cheapest option (maybe less cost than a longer figure-of-8 lead), and would also enable more power sockets where the printer plugs in (if you get a 2-gang or more version). Making the purchase is probably more cost-effective than having to replace expensive inks regularly.

As to your specific question - no idea sorry.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Been there done that.

Bought my HP printer Nov 17 it came with ink provided. I needed to decide which of the offers to use and elected for up to 50 pages per month and £1.99.

They kept emailing me to tell me to connect to wifi so they could keep check on my usage. I thought I had connected, so kept ignoring.However, eventually this was corrected.

Each month went by and each month they took my £1.99. My concern was, why aren't they sending replacement inks, so called them and they said, despite your usage, you haven't used half yet.

To cut this story short, they must feel I am due for ink as a batch has arrived, tri-colour & B&W. BUT, BUT, I am still using the original ink in Jan.2019.

I spoke to them and said I might just as well terminate my contract as I'm not using the printer as much as anticipated.

They said they would stop my monthly charge of £1.99 for 50 sheets, and providing I use less than 15 sheets per month, inks would be FREE. If I do exceed the 15 sheets, the charge would be £1 up to 10 extra. I always thought you could upgrade, but not the reverse. I think because I told them I was leaving, they responded much like the retention's teams for mobile phones, they do anything to keep you.

So, a long post, but hopefully one which will help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure