Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucy632
    • By lucy632 10th Jan 19, 9:54 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lucy632
    Mortgage Application declined? help!
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:54 PM
    Mortgage Application declined? help! 10th Jan 19 at 9:54 PM
    So Iím a first time buyer, found a lovely 2 bed flat. Offer accepted and made my mortgage application with nationwide last week. Valuer went out the other day to value the flat and my mortgage application has now been declined. Rang the bank up asking why and they have told me the valuer has said the flat is in close proximity to an off licence which is opposite and a few houses along. I didnít even think of this at the time and didnít even know this was an issue. I just wondered what should i do next? Would any other banks be willing to lend or is this a red flag for getting a mortgage on this property/do I just give up and find somewhere else? Help needed thank you?
Page 1
    • nicholbb
    • By nicholbb 10th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    nicholbb
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    Use a broker.
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 10th Jan 19, 11:06 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:06 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:06 PM
    Yes, a broker will sort a mortgage out for you - there are lenders who can accept flats like that, just not necessarily Nationwide.

There are so many little things that can trip you up and people are unaware of, that makes applying for a mortgage directly like playing Russian roulette or buying a lottery ticket...
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    • 18,140 Posts
    • 9,886 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    You have probably been unlucky there as opposite and a little along is probably a little harsh but it is not uncommon for certain types of commercial premises to be a problem (pubs, take aways, mechanics, garages, launderettes among others).

A broker will get this through for you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • dwsjarcmcd
    • By dwsjarcmcd 11th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    dwsjarcmcd
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    Or alternatively, you should look elsewhere for your flat as this may happen again when you come to sell it (unless it is really reflected in the price)
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 11th Jan 19, 9:40 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:40 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:40 AM
    As a banker of many decades, it is amazing what little things credit officers can think of once they start getting a bit personally nervous about a particular lending market to use as a reason to knock back an otherwise "qualifying" proposal.

No doubt someone will lend. Of course any retail unit could change to an off-licence / bar / pub / massage parlour with the appropriate permissions during the mortgage term, or conversely the existing off-licence could turn into a artisan bakery!
    • MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 11th Jan 19, 2:49 PM
    • 6,306 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:49 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:49 PM
    Don't give up

I understand when you are a first time buyer being knocked back like this is going to leave you feeling pretty upset. And you may well be under pressure from the selling agent to get your offer in place. Take a deep breath and put it down to experience. And see a broker, but before you commit to a particular broker ask them how soon they can see you, source the mortgage and submit the application for you, as you don't want to lose the property.

You may be a little wary of paying a broker fee but I promise you it is worth your while. What the broker does, and how will be the first step towards educating yourself about mortgages, a good broker will always give you reasons for the actions they take.

If there are any other obstacles to your mortgage success they will be able to tell you what could be a problem and how they are going to get round it for you.

Good luck buying your first home.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • lucy632
    • By lucy632 16th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lucy632
    • 16th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 16th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    Thank you all for the advice. Mortgage advisor tried to appeal the decision but I knew I had no chance. So I am now using an independent mortgage broker and submitting another application with a different lender and fingers crossed this one goes okay!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,962Posts Today

5,328Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin