Advice Needed: Season Ticket Travel

Hello everyone, I hope not to bore you with this request.

I am moving jobs and will need to commute now but not sure whats the best ticket to get:
I will need to travel between London Victoria Station & London Bridge Station
Annual ticket for Zone 1 & 2 is £1404
Annual ticket to travel between London Victoria to London Bridge is £772 Via any permitted route (which I'm not too sure what it means)
I wont be travelling weekends, which travel card you think will make more sense to get, and if someone could explain the any permitted route please.

Many thanks and sorry for the long request.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Via any permitted route means via any reasonable route. Underground to Blackfriars and Overground to London Bridge is a reasonable and therefore permitted route.

The annual ticket between Victoria and London Bridge makes more sense. if your needs change, you can claim a refund, but be aware you won't get as much back as you expect. The National Rail Enquiries website has some information about how refunds are calculated here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46571.aspx

I tended to buy monthly season tickets as this spread the cost. It didn't cost any more than an annual ticket because I tend to take all my annual leave in week-long blocks, so I would just start the next month's season ticket when I returned to work. In a typical year, I would only buy 11 monthly tickets. It did involve a bit more hassle each month, but it also reduced the risk if I lost the ticket.

If you want to go out after work, "pay as you go" via contactless or an Oyster card.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • thank you for your reply, but can i just use the underground as that is more convenient for me or with that ticket i have to use the overground only?
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    What is the actual journey you want to do? From Victoria to London Bridge?
  • Yes, Victoria to London Bridge.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    District or Circle to Westminster and then Jubilee to London Bridge is all tube.

I think elverson's question was whether you were getting a train in to Victoria and then travelling on to London Bridge. The answers could be quite different if there will be another part to your commute.
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 10:50PM
    If I am understanding you correctly you don't want to pay for a zonal travelcard which includes the Underground and instead want the lower priced season ticket to just travel by rail.

In which case the route is Victoria - Clapham Junction - Waterloo - Waterloo East - London Bridge.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Using the tube the journey time is 13 minutes, and Oyster or contactless PAYG is £2.40 each way.
    As you say an annual Zone 1&2 travel card for the 13 min journey, and unlimited other journeys in zones 1 & 2 is £1404.
    Or for £772 you could use NR, take over 30 minutes each way, with no other flexibility.
    Maybe if you literally will just be making the 5 round trips each week, then paying as you go, £24 per week would work for you.

Any journey on National Rail avoiding the tube will take at least half an hour.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But if the OP changes at Clapham Jn for W'loo> London Bridge, they will save the time otherwise spent getting from CJ to Victoria. About 7 minutes? Take that off the 30 mins and the extra time could be as little as 10m. Only the OP can decide if a saving of nearly £700pa is worth the slightly longer commute.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport